Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress custom template, custom sidebar?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cjk

Hey all,

I have been playing with the custom template function in WordPress as I would like to use a special layout for a special section of pages.

I have figured out how to create a custom page.php file and assign it etc., however, I have not been able to find in the codex (or figure out even if it is possible) whether I can grab a custom header.php sidebar.php that would only appear in pages that use the custom template.

In a nutshell, I would like to use a different header and sidebar on pages that use the custom page template.

Is there a way?

Best regards,
    Chris

apostrophe
    Participant

Just create your custom sidebar/header and save it as sidebar2.php/header2.php or something equally imaginative and the call it/them in your custom template with

Code:

cjk

Hey thanks Apostrophe,

I would have been surprised if there wasn’t a way to do this (seemed like a popular request for feature to me!) but couldn’t find it in the codex at all. You saved me a ton of time!

I am going to assume that I directly replace the get_header and get_sidebar with these include calls?

Cheers!
    Chris

apostrophe
    Participant

That’s right. get_header and get_sidebar are just WordPress specific functions relating to the sidebar and the header. Just place the includes where you would usually use the WP functions.

cjk

Hey,

Close…. but not quite what I was hoping for. My sidebar.php is widget ready and so of course any widget that I have in the main sidebar shows up in any and all copies, if they are also widget ready (which i would really like if possible as there are some widgets I would like to use on certain pages only). I guess I could just strip the widget function out of those custom sidebars, but I would really like the functionality.

So, I dug into the codex one more time and found this page http://codex.wordpress.org/Customizing_Your_Sidebar where it explains how to;

Quote:
    New way of adding sidebars

You can register more than one sidebar. In wp-includes/widgets.php you find the function-definition for register-sidebars() which you may use in your custom function within your theme-folder (functions.php – if not existent, create an empty php-file by that name):

Code:

‘custom’ would mean you have to create a custom sidebar-file under the name sidebar-custom.php. Sidebars get indexed. Your default sidebar (sidebar.php) gets indexed as 1. Every succeeding one will have an index higher than 1. You will see your sidebars now listed in ‘Apearance’ -> ‘Widgets’.

In your sidebar-templates you may now call the dynamic generated content (widgets) by the index of your sidebars:

Code:

… regular html …

… regular html …

You can integrate your sidebars in your template-files (e.g. index.php, single.php, archives.php):

Code:

gets you the default sidebar.

Code:

should display your custom sidebar.

What I can’t figure out is where and how to put this code in my functions.php file. I am looking at the default functions.php for Kubrick. The first 8 lines are:

Code:

• ‘,
    ‘after_widget’ => ‘
  • ‘,
    ‘before_title’ => ‘

‘,
    ‘after_title’ => ‘

‘,
    ));

Which doesn’t exactly match up the code from the codex!

This is then followed by a lot of code which seems to be relevant only to the function for modifying the kubrick header image and background colours, which I don’t use.

I am thinking I can just delete everything after line 8, but am hesitant to do so!

Anyone able to guide me through this? What a great learning experience! :D

apostrophe
Participant

Funnily enough I saw this article today and thought of you http://wpcandy.com/articles/tutorials/how-to-make-the-most-out-of-your-sidebar.html

cjk
"apostrophe" wrote:
Funnily enough I saw this article today and thought of you http://wpcandy.com/articles/tutorials/how-to-make-the-most-out-of-your-sidebar.html

Thanks!! This post and link are extremely useful. I have it working nicely locally and "hopefully" all will go well when I upload to my site.

Cheers!
Chris

mlynn

You could also simply use a plugin to create custom sidebars for each page or post. The Graceful Sidebar Plugin does this for you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)