Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other [WordPress] custom post design per category

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mvaneijgen
    Participant

I’m busy designing a blog and what i like to have is a custom structure for certain post categories at the ‘blog post overview page’. I’m not a WordPress developer hero, but i like to mess with the code till i can wrap my head around it, but for this i don’t know where to start.

Down here i provided a screenshot of what it could look like. If i have to explain it in text: If the post category is Portfolio show the a large featured image with the title in it and hide the rest of the content.

I know i have to a lot of this with CSS but how do i loop through all the post and get the elements i want and for other categories don’t get those elements?

Screenshot:

I was thinking to just load every element for every post and then hide them for certain categories, but i thought that was kind of dirty.

I hope i explaind my self well and someone can point me to some good resources.

mvaneijgen
    Participant

This is how far i have come

if(query_posts('cat=5')) {
    $count = 0;
        while ( have_posts() ) { the_post();

get_template_part( 'content-portfolio', get_post_format() );
        } // End WHILE Loop

} else { 

if ( have_posts() ) {
        $count = 0;
            while ( have_posts() ) { the_post(); $count++;

/* Include the Post-Format-specific template for the content.
                * If you want to overload this in a child theme then include a file
                * called content-___.php (where ___ is the Post Format name) and that will be used instead.
                */
                get_template_part( 'content-blog', get_post_format() );

} // End WHILE Loop

} else {
        ?>
            <article <?php post_class(); ?>>
                <p><?php _e( 'Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.', 'woothemes' ); ?></p>
            </article><!-- /.post -->
        <?php } // End IF Statement ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.