Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress "Custom Fields" help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Thadley
    Participant

Hello!

I am wondering if there is a plugin for WordPress that is similar to one I used with ExpressionEngine awhile ago, although, I don’t remember the name of it. I believe it is called Matrix.

Take this code for example:

<div class="wrapper">
    <h1 class="h1-class">[custom field plugin value]</h1>
    <h3 class="h3-class">[custom field plugin value]<h3>
    <p class="description">[custom field plugin value]</p>
    <a class="visit" href="[custom field plugin value]">View website</a>
    </div>

Let’s say every time I want to upload a new portfolio piece, I would be able to go to this plugin, make an entry, put in the values for each of the [custom field plugin value] in a custom field. After I save the values, the plugin will spit out the code above for each entry in the plugin but with specific information to each entry.

For Example:

<div class="wrapper">
    <h1 class="h1-class">Thomas</h1>
    <h3 class="h3-class">Circus Clown<h3>
    <p class="description">Random description about a circus clown!</p>
    <a class="visit" href="http://www.randomcircusclown.com">View website</a>
    </div>

<div class="wrapper">
    <h1 class="h1-class">Julia</h1>
    <h3 class="h3-class">Lawyer<h3>
    <p class="description">Random description about a lawyer!</p>
    <a class="visit" href="http://www.randomlawyer.com">View website</a>
    </div>

The reason I want this plugin is because it makes it a lot simpler to add new portfolio pieces to my site as I get them and the code above is an example of the architecture for each of the portfolio items and the styles that go along with them when they are displayed!

Help would be appreciated :)

Tom

TheDoc

I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking, but this is my favourite custom fields plugin for WordPress: http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/

Thadley
    Participant

I’ve tried using ACF ( advanced custom fields ) plugin but I can’t even get anything to display on my site. Like no custom field plugins I’m trying show anything -.-

If repeater is actually like “matrix/grid” then I will look into it and consider it!

Thadley
    Participant

@JoshWhite So I purchased the repeater field and got it to work :) but I am having issues lol :/

The way I have my site setup right now is under the settings->reading options; I have it set to static front page and set to the page “content” that I created to display my whole site structure.

I have two plugins at the moment, Contact Form 7 plugin for my contact form and ACF(advanced custom fields) to display my portfolio items.

My problem is the CF7 requires the shortcode to be placed inside a “page”(content) otherwise it won’t work and ACF won’t work or display within the page. I’m not sure if it is because php cannot be read within a page?

Anyways, I took the ACF’s code and placed it within page.php file and it works perfectly fine so far but it is being displayed after all my content but before my footer.

How could I get it to display within my site structure where I want it too if my site is setup like this?

I am quite a beginner at WordPress so I could have it all setup wrong anyways lol.

Thadley
    Participant

Yeah It is a bit overwhelming but I was somewhat catching on to the things you just said! I am also not the greatest at explaining so forgive me! :)

Here is a link if you are curious: Personal Site Link

I’ll try to explain it as simply as I can. I have the code for the header portion of my site inside header.php file, and the footer inside the footer.php file.

In the WordPress menu bar on the left, once you click the pages tab, I created a page known as “content” and put all of my “main-content” code which is anything between the header and footer inside there. In the settings tab under reading, I have my site displaying a static front page which is linked to the “content” page I created. This is how everything is being displayed for my site right now.

The issues with both plugins is that the CF7 plugin only displays when I insert the shortcode inside that “content” page I created and the ACF plugin won’t. I need to stick it in an actual .php file. Once I did, it works although being displayed after all the “main-content” stuff rather than inside the work section where I want it to go :/.

What exactly is the Custom Posts Types UI?

Josh
    Participant

In the specific case where you are putting your ACF fields, use the do shortcode php snippet I linked above from the WP codex and include your CF7 form manually in the php file you created.

The Custom Post Types UI is for creating a post type specific to something you want different than the rest of the site. Like a portfolio for example.

Thadley
    Participant

@JoshWhite I’ll read up on Custom Post Types and the UI plugin and If I happen to have any questions, I will be sure to ask you!

Which plugin do I want? Would it be the first one on the list when searching for it through WordPress?

Josh
    Participant

It’s just one plugin: “Custom Post Types UI”

mcjohnst
    Participant

The beauty of shortcodes is you can put them just about anywhere. In post / page content, widgetized areas, option boxes, and in template files using do_shortcode(‘[my_shortcode attr=”value”]’);

What’s your main page’s template look like? Are you cramming everything in index.php ? Using shortcodes / raw HTML to construct it in the edit box as a single page?

Cleo
    Participant

I am doing some work on a church web site and I was asked to add a “Prayer Wall” however I can not figure out how to create a customizable form that will post to the page. Can anybody PLEASE help me!!!! WordPress has me stumped!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.