Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress Category Permalinks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve been putting together a WordPress website for some video tutorials I’m making and ran across this from the WordPress Permalinks page:

Quote:
    %category%
    A sanitized version of the category name (category slug field on New/Edit Category panel). Nested sub-categories appear as nested directories in the URI. Starting Permalinks with %category% is strongly not recommended for performance reasons.

Does anyone know what these performance reasons are? Are they huge? or just "The Queries will have to look through more rows when grabbing categories"?

Thanks,

apostrophe
    Participant

I only noticed this thread because of all the spam on the site at the moment. Oh well, it’s an ill wind… :D

I had the very same question a little while ago and this is what I turned up http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-testers/2009-January/011099.html

Now, having ploughed through that, there are many people who begin their permalinks with /%category% / and never have a problem. I think it really comes down to the site in question, if you are posting a couple of times a week in half a dozen categories then you will probably never notice, but if, on the other hand you are making ten posts a day in fifty different categories then you are heading towards meltdown.

Hope that helps. ;)

AshtonSanders
    Participant

I was figuring/hoping as much.

Thanks for the link. That is interesting.

I am using %category% with my css video website, and don’t plan on having more than a hundred posts by the time it’s done anyway.

mkhululi

Hi All,

I wanted to change the URLs of my wordpress site to show the name of the pages instead of the page_id like: "?page_id=112" as demonstrated by Chris on screencast 26 but I am always getting an error that the page is not found.

Is there something I am missing because this seems straight forward to me and I am not sure why it is not working.

Please help.

Yours,
    Me

apostrophe
    Participant
    mkhululi

Thanks I will look at this tonight…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.