Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress Benefits?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    caseybaggz
    Participant

Hey guys and gals,
    I’m a total n00b so forgive me for asking, but I was just wondering what the benefit was for using a CMS like wordpress vs. not using it?

Does it carry the load and create a faster running site? Just wondering if I should switch to WP vs. continuing to code and upload without it?

Thanks!

Alen
    Participant

continuing to code and upload without it?

Do you need Content Management System? If you’re not blogging daily/weekly or updating your site on daily basis, no need for CMS. Now if you’re interested in learning about WP then go right ahead. WP is one of the most popular platforms out there, can’t go wrong. But first answer the question of “Do you need CMS?” Take wordpress out of the equation for now.

And whatever platform you choose don’t worry about speed, unless you’re building high traffic site.

Senff
    Participant

If you’re not blogging daily/weekly or updating your site on daily basis, no need for CMS.

Strongly, strongly disagree.

Example, if you have a site that has 100 pages and even if you never want to update it, a CMS can be very helpful if you use the templating system — it’ll save you a lot of time building the site.

If you have a small site (couple of pages) and you never ever want to update it; by all means, keep it static — build it once and never touch it again.
    But if you do updates (even if it’s not just daily/weekly), or if you want the option to add functionalities (now or later), or if you want the option to make the entire site look completely different with the press of a button… a CMS may come in very handy.

And for a self-declared n00b such as yourself, WordPress would be a great CMS to start out with.

caseybaggz
    Participant

Thanks Senff.
    It will be a 50 page site that is updated throughout the year very minor. The design does allow for creating templates which is a bonus. What do you recommend on how to start with WP and understand it fully?

Any books or other resources?

Thanks again.

Alen
    Participant

Strongly, strongly disagree.

We’re saying the same thing. I shouldn’t have used updating… by updating I meant creating content. So of course templeting would be beneficial.

Senff
    Participant

By far, the best way of learning WordPress is (here it comes) Just Build Websites. But for me, the best starting points were WordPress’ own lessons and Chris’ book Digging Into WordPress.

hanswilmink
    Participant

Thanks Senff. It will be a 50 page site that is updated throughout the year very minor. The design does allow for creating templates which is a bonus. What do you recommend on how to start with WP and understand it fully?

Eeuhh you mean learning how to use WordPress? Or you mean template design and creating widgets?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.