Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress as a CMS (again)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Luminated

Ok, so I can’t seem to find an easy answer to this question and I’m not even 100% sure how to ask it. I am debating whether or not to use WordPress as the engine for the next update of our website. A big hangup that I can’t seem to figure out is how custom content ‘block’s are created without putting in custom HTML into the Page/Post (which essentially bypasses the dynamic nature of WP and at that point is no different than creating a static site).

So let’s take this site for example:

http://freshout.us/

I notice on the homepage that have very custom fading content at the top and custom content blocks below. Or this page:

http://freshout.us/people/

Notice the slider on the right hand side.

If WordPress was used to do this, then I assume all these blocks of content created as posts/pages using custom fields and then using the variables in the PHP templates to pull the data and CSS to style it accordingly? It sounds simple enough but it seems almost archaic for some reason, not sure why.

Also, does anybody know if I can use WordPress to develop a single page anchored navigation website?

maro
    Participant

Yo lars,

I agree with you. Having to physically style things within the "content block" seems a bit redundant.

and when you say

"Also, does anybody know if I can use WordPress to develop a single page anchored navigation website?"

do you mean so that all the nav links anchor/link you down to a lower section of the same page?

Luminated

Yeah, and I actually figured it out yesterday.

I also have a bit of a paradigm shift too when it comes to WordPress…using the Custom Fields, the Magic Fields plugin and now knowing how to manipulate the WordPress Loop (the cornerstone to the WP engine) to get the specific fields from the specific categories I’m looking for, in addition to page templates, I don’t think I need to put any HTML into the WordPress editor any longer. As Doc mentioned in another post a while ago, I can use the PHP calls to get the data I want and then style accordingly using CSS.

This is huge…I feel relatively limitless with WordPress now that I figured this shiznit out! :ugeek:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.