Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress as a Book Club manager

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    groooover

I’m designing a wordpress site as a home for my book club, but I’m stumped on one thing. Let me explain.

The way I want the site to work is this: every month has one blog post; it announces the book for the month. The home page shows only the present month’s post, but I want users to be able to click a nav-button that says "past" to go to a list of past books, as well as a "future" button to see what’s coming up. Essentially, this is just a matter of assigning the posts to a category and modifying the loop to show posts from the right one depending on what page you’re on, right?

Well I can’t figure out how to make it work. I thought I should use the "pages" function of wordpress to create the past and future pages, but then when I put the loop into those pages’ tempates the loop won’t go find posts–it’s as if the loop is out of the loop once it’s tied to a static page.

Any suggestions on how I can bend wordpress to be more of a CMS in this way? Feel free to check out the site so far; it’s at http://www.skullsaflame.com.

cssgirl
    Participant

I wouldn’t use pages. I would just write a regular post once a month. Then have wordpess limit to show just one post on the front page. Than clicking past would show a list (with excerpts?) of the past posts using the previous_posts_link function.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.