Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Why won't stylesheets work when taken off a server and placed in page?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m trying to alter a style I found online for a page presentation and copied and pasted the source url for the code, then put that in the head of my page to try to alter it and it doesn’t work. I’ve tried it with every linked source in the head of the page and the action stops.

Paulie_D

Without seeing the site it’s going to be hard to help.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    nkrisc
    Participant

Maybe the server is blocking requests for those assets from other domains?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The server isn’t blocking requests on my end, if you’re having that trouble that seems odd as the stylesheets are freely offered as copy/paste and download from the original creators main page.

When I copy the stylesheet code, paste it in the head tag, and assign its style type, the page doesn’t function. There’s no reason for it to function on a server, but not directly on a page.

Paulie_D

Well something is working when I view the page in Chrome.

So what is the specific issue?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s currently working because the stylesheets and JS are on a server. (ref head tag)

The specific issue is that I’m trying to alter a style I found online for the slides and I copied and pasted the source url for the code, then put that in the head of my page to try to alter it and it doesn’t work that way. I’ve tried it with every linked source in the head of the page and the action stops. I need to alter the code in order to remove some unwanted elements and resize things.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m still having trouble with this and would appreciate any help. Any at all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do!

It appears to me, and according to Paulie_D, that the linked stylesheets are working as the slides are functioning. I will copy/paste the JS and Stylesheets into the head tag and provide a link.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Shane,

My apologies for the delay.

I’ve done as you suggested with the exception of setting it up so it doesn’t work. However, of you place the jquery.bxslider.css script from Line 5 into the head instead of the link, the functions cease. Also, I want to remove the controls beneath the slideshows, and be able to resize the pseudo elements/box shadows, but can’t see where to do it.

Best Regards.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Shane,

I believe I’ve made progress.

I’m not sure what you mean by “still using the CSS file from bxslider” What file should I use?

I only had the code in the page to make it easier to alter it if needed. The CSS is still on the page.

I will minify the JS once I’m certain everything is ready to go.

If I wanted to remove the control png’s and the function to any one of the current slideshows, how would that be done?

Best Regards.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Shane,

The code works, but it removes all the buttons in every scroller on the page, I just want to remove the buttons in one or two scrollers on the page.

Also, the png image of the buttons are square, yet they show as round on the scrolls. I assumed its done with CSS, but don’t see where/how.

Best Regards.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Shane,

Thank you for the .parent-class .bx-next, suggestion. I should have seen that but am too new at this to put it together.

I don’t understand the matter with the png’s. If you look at the image everything is square(ish), but it shows as round in the page. There are no transparencies over the png buttons to render them round. Please explain.

Best Regards.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Shane,

I was opening the image in a different program and only saw this. When I linked to the image on my server in preparation of showing it here I saw this. I also see the transparency in Photoshop. I’m still not clear how it is a transparency that turns the uniform colored squares into circles. I can understand making the white area a transparency, but a uniform grey square into a circle!? That’s very interesting. It doesn’t look like sprites I’m familiar with because it doesn’t have contrasting images or placement codes.

Sorry for the confusion.

Best Regards.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Shane,

By what I see in the image here I don’t see how circles are obtained from it. I understand if there were circles surrounded by white and the white was made transparent, but circles from squares of uniform colour and no code for radius?

Best Regards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.