Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Why wont my site work in ie :(

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    h22red

Hello :)

For some reason my site looks perfect in Chrome and Safari, but in IE9 it looks horrible.

here is the link: www (dot) wristreminderz (dot) com.

Ive been trying to fix it for hours with no luck. Please help.

h22red

Yes using z-index for the logo but it’s not working in ie, only seems to work in chrome, safari and firefox :(

kgscott284
    Participant

I mean you need to set a z-index for the menu and the slider…one that is lower than that of the logo…it should force it to work.

h22red

Tried it but it doesn’t seem to work

Watson90

@h22red – If you maybe give your logo a position of relative and then give it a z-index value higher than the jQuery slider, then it should definitly work as @kgscott284 stated.

Judging by your code, maybe try and target the image inside the header tag and give that a z-index value.

Hope you get it sorted, man.

h22red

I did give it a high z index, as it work in chrome, Firefox, safari… You guys can check the source code on the site. It just won’t work :(

jkinney768
    Participant

Try giving the menu/slideshow a position:relative and lower z-index. It looks like nivo slider has position absolute, but no z-index. I think if you define a z-index to those other elements, it should work for you in IE.

h22red

@kgscott284 @Watson90 @jkinney768 updated the z-index on the menu and the nivo div but still no luck.

chrisburton
    Participant

@h22red What versions of IE? Just IE9?

Edit: It seems to work in IE8 and IE9

h22red

@ChristopherBurton are you sure I’m using an online render and ie9 and I can’t see the logo go overtop.

Can anyone verify

h22red

In ie10 it works perfectly, but in ie 8/9 it wont bring the logo forward :(

Senff
    Participant
    h22red

@senff added a closing tag but still does nothing

Senff
    Participant

@h22red right, it didn’t have anything to do with it, but I think I’ve figured it out now.

First, you need to give the #header overflow:hidden;.
    Then, you need to remove the relative position and Z-index from the #header, and assign it to the IMAGE inside the header.

#header {
    width: 500px; height: 100px; color: white; font-family: “Alegreya SC”, serif; font-size: 35pt; filter: dropshadow(color=#000000, offx=1, offy=1); text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px #000000;
    overflow:visible;
    }

#header img {
    position: relative; z-index: 1000;
    }

Explanation: the image is wrapped in #header — which has a height of 100px so it cuts off the bottom of the image. No matter what Z-index you give the #header, it will never show anything other than the top 100 pixels of the image.

So, you need to give the #header overflow:hidden;, and it will show the rest of the image. But ah, it’ll still won’t show because there is still position:relative; on the #header — so that’s why you need to remove that.

Then to make the image itself overlap the menu, you assign that relative positioning (and the Z-index) to the image.

h22red

@Senff I copied the css you have provided and it still wont work

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.