Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Why use a templating engine?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    fooman
    Participant

*note: this is not to sound negative. Just something I noticed when looking into templating for half hour or so.

I’ve done the whole mix-soup of HTML in the JS files many a’ times.
    So when I saw that Chris put up a screencast regarding the whole templating issue I took a look and then went and read a few tutorials on Handlebars.js.

I’m just curious as to why you would use a templating engine for all of these smaller projects that are in every tutorial.

For example the one here: http://javascriptissexy.com/handlebars-js-tutorial-learn-everything-about-handlebars-js-javascript-templating/#more-621

I simply feel that the tag is not much, if any, easier to manage than the JS+HTML soup that I normally use.

Plus, handlebars.js downloaded here is 33kb… and that’s the minified version.

Seems like a bad trade-off for simply keeping a convoluted version of HTML inside the actual HTML page.

Is there any tutorial or project that people can show me that are more beneficial of a templating engine than simple to-do lists and, well, they are all lists on tutorial pages haha

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.