Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Why Macs became trendy among Web Developers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • Author

No, I have never said Macs are terrible.

I don’t know where you are getting that from.

So far in this thread I’ve told you my first computer was a Mac IIci, I had a G5, currently own a loaded 17″ Macbook Pro, and use an iMac at work everyday. What in the world would make you think that?

There is no helping you if you can’t separate your love from Apple from being able to simply identify a deficiency and admit: “hey, yeah, PC does have a leg up on us there”.

Andy Howells
    Participant

I’m starting to think you’re a mega troll.

I’ve got better things to do with my time than troll you, trust me. It’s called an opinion, sorry mine differs.

croydon86
    Participant

@DrewKerriganNY yes pc’s are more customisable than macs. I think we all agree with that. Do people like @andy_unleash care? Probably not. Why? Because the mac he’s buying is more then capable of doing what he needs it to do, and offers him customisation options should he need it. Granted this may not be as many options as a hardcore techie needs, but enough for him.

I think the problem lies in @andy_unleash arguing his personal view whilst @DrewKerriganNY is arguing in general.

Also you are clearly advocating customising your machine, your spec is (2.8 GHz Intel i7, 12GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GTX 580, 120GB SSD primary drive). With all these customisation options, why haven’t you gone for more performance than you already have? Could it be that you don’t feel the need to improve the performance based on your needs?

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

lol.. because Macs are what the ‘cool kids’ buy. In my eyes computers are like basketball shoes. Does it mean that the dude with $200 shoes is better then the one with $50 kicks? I believe as long as you have the requirements for a speedy computer, the brand shouldn’t matter.

And about iOS specific app development, you don’t need a Mac, just write your application using PhoneGap and pay the tiny fee to convert your app into ALL platforms..

Just my two cents, but im also a Windows guy and will be forever.

Zoom
    Participant

@andy_unleash Macs don’t have an advantage over PCs when it comes to hardware. If anything PCs win that department because for any given amount of money you can have a more powerful PC than Mac, and also PCs are easily upgradable.

Therefore the hardware can’t be a reason for Web Developers to move to Macs.

> The majority of online tutorials around web design are taught on macs, including industry leaders such as our very own Chris Coyier. Seeing these workflows when you are new to the industry may be a huge factor in thinking you need a mac.

To me this seems to be the most valid reason people gave so far.

Now the next question is why these “trendsetters” switch to Macs?

Maybe it has something to do with the popularity of iOS devices and the need to own a Mac to develop for them? Maybe they were intentionally trying to be different from the “crowd”? Maybe they got the trend from their colleagues who had Graphic Design background?

@croydon86 Those are just the default system settings.

I’ve got my CPU OC’d to 3.2GHz and my RAM set to 1866MHz with custom timings, as well as have a secondary graphics card used just for Physix processing. I’ve got the GTX 580 OC’d, along with custom fan speeds set to trigger at specific temperature levels.

It destroys anything I throw at it. Graphics, 3D rendering, video editing, gaming: you name it.

Needless to say, there has been no reason to upgrade any of the hardware as of yet.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@JohnMotylJr – Yeah absolutely right, all mac owners buy them to “look cool”. Not to improve their workflows, better serve their customers and working styles and be more efficient for clients at all. What a bunch of tools we are LoL1!

croydon86
    Participant

@DrewKerriganNY wow that is pretty impressive!

My point though is this…

> Needless to say, there has been no reason to upgrade any of the hardware as of yet.

Believe it or not, this is how many people feel. Truth is, I have a powerful 8 core mac pro, which may not be as powerful as yours, but if I had the choice of a mac or a more powerful pc, I would choose mac for the reasons I stated in my first comment in this discussion.

croydon86
    Participant

lol you’re right @JohnMotylJr – I go to loads of parties, and when I tell them I have a mac pro, I get all the girls! If only…

In your defence though, I do actually know people that think they’re cool due to owning a mac! It is definitely an accessory for some.

MickeyB

@andy_unleash If your Mac works for you. Kudos! Though I must add that after you buy a Mac you’re ‘locked’ into the hardware you buy. You CAN upgrade your hardware, but it’ll cost you (especially now with the unibody) and you’ll ultimately hit the ceiling that Apple designates for that model.

PC’s are much more ‘upgradable’ and ‘customizable’ AFTER the initial build (within reason). You can upgrade pieces to your hearts content, and even though there is the same limit as Macs it’s a much wider range.

Macs have less powerful hardware than PCs (usually 3 – 6 months behind the curve) but they use it more efficiently than PCs if you’re not a tech-savvy user. PCs usually have a lower price tag and more options (Window, Linux, etc.).

At the end of the day. Does it work? Then you’re good.

@DrewKerriganNY
    get your own mentor ;p

MickeyB

Haha @joshuanhibbert kinda feeling like that.

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t think you should only consider the performance. Graphics and fonts render much much better on Mac than a PC. Even though I’m currently on a PC, I would choose OS X over Windows any day. The UI of software is just better.

__
    Participant

> …I go to loads of parties, and when I tell them I have a mac pro, I get all the girls!
    *–croydon86*

no, no; you’re thinking of [electric skateboards](http://xkcd.com/139/).

Watson90

@joshuanhibbert – the Jacko gif has just made my night!

You legend.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.