Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Why Macs became trendy among Web Developers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    croydon86
    Participant

@DrewKerriganNY you make a good point, there definitely are thousands more options available for pc’s. Apple are one company after all, whereas there are many pc manufacturers so this expected. Not to mention components.

Although if money was no option, I wouldn’t say a 3.06ghz 12 core mac pro with 64gb ram and four 512gb ssd drives would be limiting. But agreed, a lot cheaper and more options to choose from for pc’s

It’s limiting in terms of it’s hardware expandability and customization options @croydon86, not it’s performance, do not confuse the two.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@drewkerriganny – But my Mac’s are as powerful as I want them to be. Because I knew what was in them when I bought them.

These are work machines, they’re for working, so I will probably not have to upgrade them for years. If I was an avid gamer then of course a PC would be the best choice. But they’re for web development, text editing/preprocessing and Adobe suite products don’t exactly require 30 gpu’s and 41GB of Ram and cooling fans with neon lights.

I bought Mac’s because they’re reliable, my iMac has frozen once in 9 months and ironically it was when I was running Windows 7 in Parallells.

> But my Mac’s are as powerful as I want them to be

No, no they aren’t @andy_unleash. You continuing to say so just proves you are being stubborn on the topic. We aren’t asking if you feel your Mac was a good purchase, we’re talking about how Macs lack hardware customization options in comparison to PC. How you can continue to even argue the fact is beyond me.

Then lets talk about _accessing_ and _modifying_ said hardware. If you’re Mac is “as powerful as you want it to be”, can you overclock your CPU? Can you update your RAM timings? No? Oh man…

Andy Howells
    Participant

Because if you’re buying a Mac you’re aware of the upgrade limitations and are evidently happy with the contents. Ergo it’s not a problem.

Thusly it’s obviously not a factor in the “trendiness” vs Windows.

@andy_unleash We weren’t equating it to the “trendiness” vs Windows , your original comment took us off that path.

And what you just said, translated was: “I bought a Mac knowing it has upgrade/customization limitations”. So you are acknowledging the lack of options right off the bat, yet still trying to defend them.

Makes no sense, seems fanboyish.

Andy Howells
    Participant

It’s not fanboyish at all, you’re pointing out your opinion of a problem in owning a Mac vs owning a PC – and I’m expressing that as a Mac owner it isn’t a problem for me since I was aware of it before I bought them and thusly it’s not perceived by me to be a problem.

If it was a problem then I would have bought a PC.

It seems you want me to throw my Macs in the skip because you like to tinker with your machines. That’s great, you’re welcome to want to tinker away and PC’s are clearly the best choice for you but I have no such requirement.

Who said anything about getting rid of your Mac?

I’m simply pointing out the lack of customization options offered via hardware upgrades. No more, no less. Anything else is a web you are spinning my friend.

You’ve already acknowledged the fact, then prefaced it by saying you don’t care. Well, bully to you good sir.

And yes, blindly defending your position when you’ve already acknowledged what I said as true makes you come off as a fanboy, sorry.

chrisburton
    Participant

You could just get a Mac Pro.

@chrisburton Yeah, but how many _OPTIONS_ do you have in terms of what types of hardware you can put inside the Mac Pro? That is the point I’ve been making this whole time.

PC = unlimited options

Mac = limited options

Edit: Seeing the Mac Pros makes me miss my G5

chrisburton
    Participant

I think the above argument is pointless. Whether or not you have limited/unlimited options, they both can be powerful tools that gets the job done.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@Drewkerriganny I think you’ve got a bit of a hard on for hating on Macs, man.

lol I work with one everyday, own one, and have used them since I was a child.

You’ve got it all wrong.

I’ve got a hard on because I’m pointing out one deficiency? Okay @andy_unleash, whatever you say.

> I think the above argument is pointless. Whether or not you have limited/unlimited options, they both can be powerful tools that gets the job done.

@chrisburton
    You are taking it out of context, you’ll have the read the rest of the thread. And I’ve said many times that I agree.

As I quoted before:
    > Ultimately, I feel the choice boils down to personal preference.

> To quote my mentor: Question: Do you use a red hammer, or a blue hammer to hammer a nail? Answer: Who cares? Just hit the damn nail!

Andy Howells
    Participant

But you’re basically saying Macs are terrible because they’re not as hardware upgrade able as PC’s. Evidently people don’t care otherwise they wouldn’t buy them.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.