Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Why aren’t my cookies working?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    limonkhan

Why aren’t my cookies working?

PHP cookies are a relatively simple way of tracking users by storing information in their browser. Here are the most common reasons a cookie isn’t working.

Answer: If your cookies aren’t being set, one very common problem is that something is being sent to the browser before the cookie. The cookies need to be in the header and come before any HTML. For example:

*insert stupid spam footer link*

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Well you have to remember that they don’t harden in the oven, you have to take them out and they harden when they cool down.

Nom nom nom!

All hail clever-ish spam

CAN I HAZ COOKIE TOO?

But they shouldn’t harden Rob – they should remain all gooey and yummy inside :)

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "davesgonebananas" wrote:
    CAN I HAZ COOKIE TOO?

But they shouldn’t harden Rob – they should remain all gooey and yummy inside :)

very true – soft enough to melt in the mouth, hard enough to hold… maybe the word should be "set" instead of harden…

We should maybe start our own forums on how to get the ‘perfect’ cookie?

Hehe

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Bananacookies.com lol

The Cheeky Monkeys want $1200 for that domain! PFfft!

Rob MacKay
    Participant

damn them!!!

alex001
    Participant

If your cookies aren’t being set, one very common problem is that something is being sent to the browser before the cookie. The cookies need to be in the header and come before any HTML. For example:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>My Page</title>
    <?php
    $Month = 2592000 + time();
    setcookie(AboutVisit, date("F jS – g:i a"), $Month);
    ?>

This code won’t work, because you are sending the data (the <html> and other tags) to the browser before the cookie. Instead you should use something like this:

<?php
    $Month = 2592000 + time();
    setcookie(AboutVisit, date("F jS – g:i a"), $Month);
    ?>
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>My Page</title>

If the problem is that the cookies work for most users but some users are having problems with them, it may be that those particular users have cookies disabled in their browsers. This is not a problem with your code at all, just a user’s personal preference

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Best spam post yet! Almost on topic to the spam post that started the thread! awesome. Footer link removed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.