Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Who uses LAMP, who uses XAMPP?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I use LAMP becuase it’s just what I’m used to. However, I’m wondering if there’s any benefit to using XAMPP.

My understanding is that XAMPP is a bundle with additional features (possibly ones I don’t need) and the database by default has no security whatsoever. So… I guess it would be easy to develop on because there’s no password.

Tell everyone what you use and why!

For the purposes of this discussion MAMP = WAMP = LAMP. So, it’s basically XAMPP vs. The Field.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@Joe_Temp When i am not using the php/IIS plugin i totally use XAMPP. Reason being, easy as butter to install, never have problems with it, super fast and config and mysql is super easy to manage (as i am sure others are as well). It has just been my experience that XAMPP is a lot smoother.

Audee
    Participant

I’m using XAMPP most of the time since I created WordPress themes.
    I haven’t tried LAMP yet.

I remembered that it didn’t work because it was conflicted with the new update of Skype. It took a bit of time for me to find out that they’re in conflict. Read this article:
    http://www.knowledgesutra.com/discuss/fflpci-skype-xampp-port-conflict-overcome.html

__
    Participant

> I use LAMP becuase it’s just what I’m used to. However, I’m wondering if there’s any benefit to using XAMPP.

`LAMP` is an acronym -`Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP` – not a specific package (unless you’re referring to a specific package – which one?). `XAMPP` is the name of one such specific LAMP package, by [Apache Friends](http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html).

Are you asking about using XAMPP (specifically), or a package like XAMPP (something preconfigured, with an installer), vs. setting up each component yourself?

That last sentence pretty well sums up my answer, by the way. What do you want? Something easy to install, without having to know too much about it? Go with XAMPP. In most cases, for development work on a local machine, it’s perfectly suited. I still run XAMPP on my desktop (though I’ve modified its original setup quite a bit), simply because I installed it years ago and never had a reason to ditch it.

If you’re running a production server, though, here’s something to consider: **you need to know what you’re doing**. If you’re not comfortable enough with Apache [et.al] that doing it yourself isn’t actually *more convenient*, then you should probably think twice about doing it at all.

Alen
    Participant

> … you’re looking for something special about these packages that simply doesn’t exist. They are just an alternative way of installing and managing the same software.

This.

__
    Participant

> I do know what LAMP stands for and I know it’s not a package because I individually installed each one via Terminal.

I hope you didn’t interpret my comment as derogatory. It was certainly not meant to be. I wanted to clear up the ambiguity in your original post – it just didn’t quite make sense to talk about “LAMP” vs. “XAMPP” when XAMPP *is an implementation of* the LAMP stack.

This sort of vague misunderstanding is widespread. Even assuming *you* understood it, there are almost certainly readers/contributors to this conversation that misinterpreted it.

> what compelling benefit does XAMPP offer?
    I only ask because it seems like every programming book I’ve read lately recommends XAMPP. Why?

>> Since the packages are designed to be easier to install, users are less likely to get something wrong. As the authors depend on, but don’t teach, that technology, it’s sound advice.

This.

> … you’re looking for something special about these packages that simply doesn’t exist. They are just an alternative way of installing and managing the same software.

and that too. : )

__
    Participant

Where is your web root? Who is creating the new files/folders (you, root, apache)? Might be a user/permissions issue.

__
    Participant

No; it’s a linux thing. Nothing to do (specifically) with Apache.

Linux is all about users/permissions. You and Apache are different users (Apache probably runs under “apache” or “www-data”), and you’re probably in different user groups, too. When you add/create files in the web root, Apache might not have the necessary privileges to access them.

open a terminal and do

$ ls -la /var/www
    $ ps aux | grep apache

post the results from each command.

Ali Sharifi
    Participant

I installed WAMP (widows version onLAMP) on my windows machine but I couldn’t get it to work, since I had IIS installed and didn’t want to remove it. I tried to change the port but no luck. Then I decided to get my hand more dirty so I installed Linux mint which is pretty awesome and XAMPP. It was really straightforward.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.