Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS white-space: nowrap; not working in Opera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    maybearobot

Here’s the site: http://zackhenningsgaard.com/photos

I’m making a site for a friend who’s a photographer, and there’s going to be a horizontally scrolling box of photos for each category. I wanted to give him the option of having captions on the photos, so I put each photo in a span with a span for the caption inside, so when you hover the caption shows up.

Before I added the captions, the photos scrolled horizontally in Opera, but now they don’t; I guess because they’re in spans now? I don’t know what to do; all I could think to try was display: inline; but that didn’t work.

maybearobot

Anybody have a clue what’s wrong?

chrisburton
    Participant

Why are you using tables?

maybearobot

If I was using divs, would it fix my problem?

Believe me, I understand the whole table debate, and if it makes you upset I can change it to divs with a little time. :P I just used tables because it’s the easiest way I know to make thing vertically aligned and it would save me an extra containing block and some absolute positioning.

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m not upset, you’re just using it in the wrong way. I don’t see anything that would require absolute positioning. Line-height could help with vertical alignment.

maybearobot

No I know, I’m just messing with you. I guess I’m not a super CSS guru, I learned when I was a kid just looking at source codes, so I don’t know how everything should be professionally done. I should probably get a book soon. Heck, I just recently started using html, head, and body tags!

Anyway…. I still don’t know why this isn’t working in Opera.

chrisburton
    Participant

What version of Opera?

maybearobot

11.11, but I just updated to 11.51 and it still happens.

chrisburton
    Participant

So once you put it in spans it stopped working?

What I would do is create this in HTML5 using the figure and figcaption elements.

chrisburton
    Participant

You’re not using a doctype…

The issue isn’t with white-space (which isn’t being used correctly), it’s with your markup, as pointed out by @ChristopherBurton. You need to re-write it using divs, and you won’t actually need to use the white-space property at all. If you need help let me know.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.