Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Which type of domain name?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SilverSerpent
    Participant

I am going to create a website for a web design business I am starting as I head off to university. I am debating on whether to use a domain name along the lines of either a personal domain name (lastname.com or firstnamelastname.com) or instead giving my business a name and going for businessname.com. On one hand, going with the business name can help potential clients understand what you do just from the Google search results, so for this awesomewebdesignthatwillrockyoursocks.com might be more informative. On the other hand, using your name gives a personal aspect of actually interacting with a human instead of company, and it links the business directly with you. Also, since I am only one person and not a company with multiple employees, I am leaning more towards the personal domain name. What are your opinions on this?

Alen
    Participant

I think your potential customers will care less about what name you decide to go with. It really doesn’t matter. Just keep providing great customer service and make great work, everything else will take care itself. So don’t stress over it. Keep it short and simple. If in the future you feel that name doesn’t fit, you can pivot and adjust it.

jurotek
    Participant

I would use name for the website same as the fictitious business name you registered with city or county.

__
    Participant

Stay away from hyphens, underscores, and abbreviations or weird spellings. Believe it or not, you will be telling people your web address more often than you write it down for them.

Paulie_D

Also, since I am only one person and not a company with multiple employees, I am leaning more towards the personal domain name.

Not yet…but you might be down the line.

Why not “LastnameDesigns.domain” or the like…covers you both ways.

Mikey
    Participant

You should certainly register your own name as it might come in handy later. I agree with the johnsmithwebdesign.com approach – personal yet professional. Don’t worry about the length – people are just going to type it into google anyway. It can be hard to find a nice domain that hasn’t been snatched up already.

Good luck.

SilverSerpent
    Participant

Thanks for all the information everyone!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.