Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Which laptop !!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    apostrophe
    Participant

Congrats. You won’t be sorry. :)

Photoshop I can understand but why Dreamweaver? You’re on a Mac now, so there are much better (and cheaper) options such as Coda, Espresso or Textmate. I do pretty much everything with BBEdit but then I’m old school. 8-)

Rob MacKay
    Participant

yea congrats! :D

hal8
    "apostrophe" wrote:
    Congrats. You won’t be sorry. :)

Photoshop I can understand but why Dreamweaver? You’re on a Mac now, so there are much better (and cheaper) options such as Coda, Espresso or Textmate. I do pretty much everything with BBEdit but then I’m old school. 8-)

Ha…oh yeh didnt really think about that….guess just coz i have only used Dreamweaver !!

:D :D :D :D

alondran
    Participant

What laptop do you suggest for storing music, songs and also to do college work?
    I am buying a laptop today, and I want a laptop that is fast, can run multiple programs, can play DVDs, and have lots of room to store music and pictures. Preferably if it is also under 1,000 dollars. Please help me out! :)
    Thank you, I just dont know what to look for in a laptop because Ive never owned one.

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "alondran" wrote:
    What laptop do you suggest for storing music, songs and also to do college work?
    I am buying a laptop today, and I want a laptop that is fast, can run multiple programs, can play DVDs, and have lots of room to store music and pictures. Preferably if it is also under 1,000 dollars. Please help me out! :)
    Thank you, I just dont know what to look for in a laptop because Ive never owned one.

tbh dude I would prob go for something simple if thats all you want it for. Something by Dell would do the trick just fine, plus their support is ok.

eXo

I got a HP Pavillion and i am very happy with it :mrgreen:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/be/nl/ho … 29744.html
    prices change from around 600 till 1200

Escensi

Hey,

I’m replying without having read all of the previous comments, opinions. I can see some discussion on the Mac Vs. PC, however, those days are over, believe me.

Apple is now a real competitor and they’re building some awesome applications, and hardware that is just out of the box, and unique. I was in the same position as you a few years back, about five years now I’ve been a Mac user, I have bought a new MacBook Pro every year it has been developed and a new model is released, and I do this because it is a quality product and Mac’s are just the way forward in my opinon.

I haven’t discovered a problem using my Mac in all of five years, no hardware or software problems, when I received my laptop last year, there was a dead pixel and the screen was dented in one side, I think this was done during shipping, as the box was dented too it came in, Apple at first fixed the problem, but then I said I’d like a new laptop, and they sent a new one out right away, so, Apple’s customer service and guarantee is great. Purchase the AppleCare if you think you might need that extra warranty, but with three years guarantee from AppleCare, most users would fine themselves purchasing a new one by then, so if anything went from, it wouldn’t be much of an issue.

I spend most of my days working in Photoshop, Maya, Flash and Final Cut Pro. I am able to run all of these high processor demanding applications simultaneously without any kind of time lag you’ve expect to see in a PC/Windows, and this is all down to how Mac’s were developed and programmed from the Unix base they stand on.

So, if you’re really looking to invest into your future buying a new laptop, I’d really consider buying the MacBook Pro. It has so much power behind it, and you get a lot, lot more than you would buying a Dell or any other laptop, iLife 09 is included so you can have fun and Apple have a great load of Applications to buy which just make your Mac work beautifully, there is of course, Word, PowerPoint available on Mac, but myself, I use Apple’s iWork, which has Numbers, Pages and KeyNote for my reports for University.

So, with your student finance, get purchasing your first MacBook Pro :)

You won’t regret it :)

Rob MacKay
    Participant

well thats the thing though Escensi, hes not gonna be using it for all that stuff, just mainly text and music. Better spend well under $1000 on something pratically useful for himself, than "invest" in something half of witch he is never going to use.

Im all for buying a macbook, but if I just wanted to say look at the interwebs I would get a netbook. lol

Why push yourself into debt with money that could be more useful elsewhere…

hal8

Maybe you should of read the previous posts coz as i said i did go for the macbook in the end and yeh im happy with it so far. :D

But yeh rob is right i dont run all those programs you said….at the moment anyway!!… i just spend my time on photoshop, illustrator, coda and firefox. And now and then itunes and iphoto.

Who knows wot programs ill be using later when my course starts in September :o

But to be fair dude i do know i wont be buying a new one every year…it bloody cost me £900 !! :o :o :o :o :o

Cheers for the info anyway

Escensi
    "hal8" wrote:
    Maybe you should of read the previous posts coz as i said i did go for the macbook in the end and yeh im happy with it so far. :D

But yeh rob is right i dont run all those programs you said….at the moment anyway!!… i just spend my time on photoshop, illustrator, coda and firefox. And now and then itunes and iphoto.

Who knows wot programs ill be using later when my course starts in September :o

But to be fair dude i do know i wont be buying a new one every year…it bloody cost me £900 !! :o :o :o :o :o

Cheers for the info anyway

Ah, brilliant, you go it! Yeah, sorry for not reading, but it was late heh, so a mis-informed response from me, -1 for Escensi here. Haha.

Anyways, glad you’re enjoying it, yeah, Photoshop, Illustrator are still demanding applications, and the MacBooks have the power in them to run them without any strain, and be able to pop into the browser instantly, or into iTunes, or attach a camera and sync with iPhoto, all in a split second, that’s what you’ll begin to love about being a Mac user.

One you go Mac, you don’t go back! :o

:)

Rob MacKay
    Participant

haha yea I know you did hal – but there was another post by another guy on here ask about a laptop – thats why the thread became active again :D

How is your mac doing though? :)

hal8
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    haha yea I know you did hal – but there was another post by another guy on here ask about a laptop – thats why the thread became active again :D

How is your mac doing though? :)

ahhhhh….yeh maybe i should i read the previous comments !! haha

yeh really good thanks…at the moment im trying to design a mock up for a site i want to do. But started again so many times…..but i do enjoy trying to do it anyway. :D :D

Escensi
    "hal8" wrote:
    at the moment im trying to design a mock up for a site i want to do. But started again so many times…..but i do enjoy trying to do it anyway. :D :D

You’ll have to show us!! :D

hal8
    "Escensi" wrote:
    "hal8" wrote:
    at the moment im trying to design a mock up for a site i want to do. But started again so many times…..but i do enjoy trying to do it anyway. :D :D

You’ll have to show us!! :D

ha…yeh wil do if i ever finish !! :o :o

Most of my experience is on PCs (and on other platforms like Sun, IBM, HP & DataGeneral) and I’m not that familiar with Macs.

As I get more serious about the design / Internet services side of my business I’m seriously thinking about switching to Mac. Lots of Mac only software, familiar Unix command line and overall reliability and ease of use are the main factors in the decision (plus they look damn cool).

So, Mac afficionados, I was wondering if something like this (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB466 … MjE0NjI4NQ) can run Adobe CS4 comfortably, or whether I would need to go for more RAM / HD. I know it’s a small screen, but money is tight as I’m still in the process of starting up so trying to determine if I would be better off waiting till I have more cash to spend. Also, Snow Leopard is due in September so am considering postponing until then :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.