Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Which CMS for multiple sites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    spate1y

Hi there!

I am trying to create a site where people can register to have their own site hosted as a sub-domain. I am currently looking at WordPress Mu but that seems more along the lines of a blog instead of an actual site. I could probably use it, but that would be a lot of editing. Are there any other easier options for me or should I stick with WP Mu?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I don’t see why not, although WP is a blogging platform, I have used it mostly for normal sites – its quite versatile and easier to learn how to customise than other CMS’s. Not only that but it also has awesome linkage and tools which would make people want a WP site over something else. You might just have to spend a little time learning, but it would be worth it.

spate1y

Well I do have tons of knowledge in wordpress… every site i have every made was with wordpress…. i was just wondering if it was the right choice for this project…

thanks for feeback though.

TheDoc

If that’s where you’re knowledge is, I don’t see why not.

I’m not too proficient when it comes to WPMU. I thought that was specifically for creating multiple blogs, and not necessarily multiple sites.

blue642

wordpress MU sounds like a great idea for what you are needing. Your knowledge is well rooted in wordpress (so not much of a learning curve) and it is what runs WordPress.com which is similar in stucture to what you seem to be wanting to do.

Now I have no experience with it, but I imagine you could get it to do what you need.

spate1y

Thanks for the feedback guys! What I am probably going to do is make custom themes that turn WordPress into basically a CMS type site. I will install some plugins and probably mess around with the back-end to make it feel more like a CMS.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Yea, it sounds like that one "Reading" setting of "Home Page is: Blog or Page" is going to be the only thing you’ll need to figure out how to change on the new sites that are created.

Quote:
    When you have a hammer, everything’s a nail.

If I had to do that, I’d definitely try WPMU first.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.