Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Where to start learning DESIGN

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rkpasia
    Participant

Hello everyone, I’m an italian student. I study at the university a particular type of computer science principally oriented to the web. I know HTML and CSS pretty strongly and other programming language like Java, Php…

I also know how to create wordpress themes: this is a site that I restyled from a PSD file http://www.skriba.it

At the moment with my knowledges I can convert a PSD to HTML and CSS but I don’t have, or maybe I think I don’t have, the creativity or the fundamentals to create a good design for my website.

I read books about programming language, there are books also for design, or other principles, from which I can become better?

Or becoming better at design is simply open Photoshop and start drawing things that for me looks great?

Hope someone can help me or give me a good advice.

Thank you in advance.

almirsarajcic
    Participant
    nixnerd
    Participant

I think this would be a question for @chrisburton. He knows design really well.

My gut reaction is that it’s hard to ‘learn design.’ You can definitely learn concepts of design. You can learn all about different schools of thought when it comes to typography, whitespace, image use, etc. But… it’s up to you to decide what aesthetic you like and then hone the skill of making it your own. You know, putting your little stamp on everything.

The other thing is… it’s impossible to know about the history of design without studying print design. Be that as it may, there are things that are beautiful in print that just don’t work on the web. But… ask Chris. He’ll know where to point you.

chrisburton
    Participant

@joe_temp Thank you, Joe but I think @almirsarajcic’s answer appears adequate enough.

@rkpasia
    Before I forget, when you reach the webfont part, also check out Webtype which is not mentioned. The people over there are probably the best in the business when it comes to text type on the web. If only they weren’t horrible at marketing themselves.

If you have specific questions, just tag me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.