Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other When is a .io domain appropriate?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

First off, I know that .io domains were originally intended for the British Indian Ocean region. Obviously, they’re very popular among startups for the obvious play on Input/Output, a la codepen.io.

My question is: When is it appropriate for a startup to use a .io domain? Always? Only sometimes?

I ask because I have a startup I’ve been working on for about 4 months. The basic structure/logic of the site is in development now. But the site itself will not allow for a ton of user generated content like Codepen or Tridiv. Therefore, I wonder if .io is appropriate. There isn’t much INPUT from the user.

Does this really matter? Or should I just get the .io that I want? After all, there are a LOT of great names still available and I want mine!

nixnerd
    Participant

Why can’t I comment on this?

*Edit: I guess I can now.

nixnerd
    Participant

@TheDoc: I personally would take a short, memorable .io over either a long or amalgamated .com. Wouldn’t you?

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t even have a name for my business yet. Right now it’s just called “Project CHUB”. I’m open to name it based on the awesome domain I’m able to get. But what if I can get keyword.io? And by keyword I mean the #1 keyword associated with this service.

Alen
    Participant

Speaking of .io…. http://atom.io/

chrisburton
    Participant

A .com is absolutely more memorable than an .io. Keep in mind that .io domains are more common to us in our industry bu this is not the case for ordinary people.

nixnerd
    Participant

Believe me… if I could get any .com that even remotely related to what I’m doing… I would. They’re just simply not there… unfortunately.

One thing I could do is create some cooky amalgamation of words like zookfisk.com but I think from an SEO and marketing perspective… this is probably a bad idea. Unless you have a TON of cash to educate the market on what the hell your startup does AND have the substance to back up the hype, I think a short, memorable .io is better than a frankenstein .com.

Do you concur Doctor?

nixnerd
    Participant

See… there’s the rub. Is it easier to get people to remember .io or some really long/made up name.

Arguably though, the whole .io thing will become less of an issue. Here’s why:

1. If your name is good enough, you’ll still catch search engine traffic… provided that you don’t commit any SEO sins.

2. If your browser is set to cache your history, it shouldn’t be a problem on a repeat visit.

So… do you make up some name that kind of works to get a .com? Or do you get a great name with a .io?

nixnerd
    Participant

That does look awesome. It comes right as I’m trying to learn Vim though. Maybe I’ll still request an invite.

What are your thoughts on this @Alen? You seem to know a lot about SEO.

nixnerd
    Participant

Much appreciated @JoshWhite. I think the technology matters MUCH more than the name. However, I’m not about to handicap myself if I can help it.

The keyword is an exact match for what I’ll be doing… but I agree that in recent years, even that isn’t a silver bullet of SEO. And even if it were… I would think that the same domain as a .com (which my competitor has) will always carry more weight.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.