Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other When can we stop designing with IE6 in mind?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    diven
    Participant

I know that the "real" answer to this question is to look at the site’s statistics and determine whether the amount of users visiting your site is enough to worry about. My question is how many people design with IE6 in mind, and how many people totally disregard it.

Is it safe to say when a browser is two generations old we can then think about disregarding its limitations? Hopefully IE8 will be popular soon so we can get everyone upgraded to IE7 in time for it to be ancient. woo hoo.

Let me know how you guys/gals approach your designs in regards to browser compatibility…

its unfortunately going to be at least 2 years, minimum before we can forget about it. i never wory about 5 or less thats for sure.

the majority of users are still on 6, 7’s much better and theyre already coming out with 8. realizing that to me means most pc users dont care or know better so they have no reason to switch until they get a new comp.

ThinkSoJoE

I don’t think that we’ll ever be able to truly stop designing for IE6. I know too many people who ignore Windows upgrades who are still using Windows Media Player 9 and IE6, not to mention the sheer number of people who are using bootlegged WinXP systems who can’t upgrade properly without hacking their systems. I’m really glad I stumbled upon CSS-Tricks, because I can now learn how to optimize for cross-browser use…

koewnet

If I’d been asked to guess, I’d say not untill 2010, maybe. Then Microsoft would’ve at least made IE7 obligatory update to all users of Windows (legit and illegal copies).

But as it looks now, I bet the next few years will still be under the IE6 userbase’s whip.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.