Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What VPS do you guys use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I’ve been using shared hosting for awhile for God knows what reason… don’t judge. Tomorrow, I think I’m gonna switch to a VPS. The question is… who should I use? I see WIDE price gaps that aren’t really explained. Media Temple is three times the price of Digital Ocean for the same specs. Why?

Who should I use and why?

I’d like a fully custom Linux box with SSH and root access. Beyond that, I just want the best specs for the money. Please help me decide.

nixnerd
    Participant

Linode is looking GREAT! Anyone else use Linode? Seems like TOTAL freedom for a reasonable price.

TheDoc

I currently don’t use a VPS, not enough traffic to warrant it. Though I may be looking to make the switch in the future.

nixnerd
    Participant

Doc, thank you for you input. Always appreciated. That’s kinda what I thought for a long time. However, I’m at a place where I need to deploy several sites for personal projects/collaborations. It’s not necessarily that they get a ton of traffic (although they could)… it’s that I’d like a place to host 5 sites at a reasonable price.

With my current host, Hostmonster, that would cost me $350 per year. I can go get ANY VPS I want for that price. Even the very pricey Media Temple. Many VPS solutions are in the $120-$240 per year range with many added benefits.

The tipping point for me came today actually. I’m working with a clean Arch Linux install that I haven’t used SSH on yet. I tried to SSH to my web host and wanted to verify the RSA key fingerprint. This should be ridiculously easy. If I had web console access, I could have done this myself no problem.

I couldn’t find the fingerprint in Hostmonster docs at all. Well, I did but apparently it was an example only. Anyway, it took 2 days and several live chat sessions to get the fingerprint to verify I was connecting to the right server and not about to be the victim of a “man in the middle” attack. The fingerprint did not match… at all. Great.

What’s worse, it took two days to verify it. I mean… Github just posts the fingerprint for all to easily see and verify. How hard is that? Hostmonster undoubtedly has more servers but it can’t be in the cPanel somewhere?

Anyway, I think I’m going to switch to Digital Ocean tomorrow. It seems perfect for what I need. $10 a month gets me 1GB of RAM and 32GB of storage on an SSD. Nice.

Plus, they offer an Arch Linux image, so I can use my beloved Pacman. People say it’s not suited for production servers… I say otherwise.

Also, Hostmonster wasn’t what they call “fast.” I ran some tests and it wasn’t exactly impressive. And there was only a few things I could do on my end to speed things up. I want more control. I’m thinking Digital Ocean + Arch + Nginx + Gzip is gonna work out real nice for me.

nixnerd
    Participant

I just really like that it has an Arch image and it’s $10 a month. I mean… can you really beat it?

I dig that it uses SSD as well. Apparently for database driven sites, that makes a huge difference.

I think overall Linode is better but it’s also twice the price.

nixnerd
    Participant

Plus… they have a clean interface for their control panel. That may not matter to some but it matters to me. It’s welcoming and easy to use.

Also, customer service is good. I submitted a ticket and got a response in about 8 minutes.

chrisburton
    Participant

I have an unmanaged VPS from Ramnode. My entire site lays in my Dropbox folder which I use to sync to my server upon changes. It also serves as a backup system.

Video

nixnerd
    Participant

“I like the option of talking to someone. I’ve never been a big fan of the ticket system when something major happens.”

Go with Linode then.

nixnerd
    Participant

@Chrisburton how does that work with your git or svn workflow?

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t use Git. For such a small site I think it’s more of a hassle than helpful.

nixnerd
    Participant

@chrisburton

Do you use Git for client projects?

__
    Participant

I’m actually at the point where it can be borderline-stressful to not use git on a project.

chrisburton
    Participant

I no longer take on clients regarding development. At this time I’m pursuing a law degree while working on my own personal projects — as a hobby if you will.

__
    Participant

@Joe_Temp did you go with digital ocean? I was just checking them out… they do look nice

edit also, where’s the list of images (distros) they provide?

nixnerd
    Participant

@ChrisBurton good for you! I studied Poli Sci and Philosophy and will always find aspects of the law fascinating. You’re a great designer and you should think about taking on a few clients to pay for school. Just a thought.

@Traq I did go with digital ocean. I don’t know if there is a list out there but I’ll tell you because I’m looking at it right now. They offer Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Arch and Fedora.

Linode allows you to spin up whatever you want. Gentoo, Slackware, OpenBSD, custom kernels… you name it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.