Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What software do you use ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    David R

I’m another of those Mac users. ;)

I started with TextWrangler but switched to Coda after seeing it introduced in the Podcast.
    Of course, Photoshop.
    Cyberduck for FTP
    A program called "SpamStopper" that changes a text e-mail address into Java script. It doesn’t stop all spam (some of the spam crawlers now can read the Java script addresses) but it certainly stops a lot of it.

One thing the Podcast didn’t mention (but I saw it on a different Podcast) was a Dashboard widget that produces Lorem Ipsum text. That is really useful!

A great Adobe Air program called "WebKuts" that can take a complete, multi-page screen shot of any website and save it as a jpg. Great for making a compilation of your favorite website designs.

That’s about it for web design.

Hawke
    Quote:
    A great Adobe Air program called "WebKuts" that can take a complete, multi-page screen shot of any website and save it as a jpg. Great for making a compilation of your favorite website designs.

I’m not really sure to get what you mean. Could you show us an exemple :D ?

Flavia

Whoo-hoo! Mac users galore! Me too! (Enough with the exclamation points already!)

Mac (at home):
    Aptana/BBEdit (though I’m experimenting with Coda and TextMate)
    Photoshop/Illustrator
    Firebug, Web developer toolbar (I would be a lot slower without it)
    Transmit

Win (at work):
    jEdit (just because of its customizable syntax highlighting plugin – we use HTML::Template perl Module so it’s a blessing (no perl-pun intended :D) to see all kinds of <TMPL_..> tags at once, each type (conditionals, loops, vars…) with its very own highlight style. Maybe there are other options for this, but I didn’t find them as for now)
    Aptana (for everything that’s not HTML::Template’d)
    Fireworks
    SftpDrive
    Firebug, Web developer toolbar
    Fireshot (FF plugin to take screenshots)

plus, the most browsers I can get my hands on, with a little help from a virtual machine running Ubuntu (at work and at home) and WinXP (at home).

Cheers!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Hey I saw ya’ll were talking about an application to screen capture the entire length of websites. Paparazzi! is another one of those and it works really really well!

http://www.derailer.org/paparazzi/

David R
    "Hawke" wrote:
    Quote:

I’m not really sure to get what you mean. Could you show us an exemple :D ?

Here’s the URL:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/i … id=1431018

David

dag

On Windows
    ASP: Microsoft VIsual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
    CSS: Microsoft VIsual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, TopStyle Lite
    PHP: Notepad ++
    All graphic: Adobe Photoshop CS3,
    FTP: FIleZIlla Client
    Browser: Firefox, IE6
    Audio/Video: Windows Media Player 11
    Remote Control: Ultra VNC
    Virtual Machine: VMware (Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy, SUSE linux 10)

O5C4R

photoshop cs3 and illustrator cs3 for desing,
    notepad ++ for coding,
    cute ftp for upload my files,
    app server for testing my sites locally.

ThinkSoJoE

I do most of my design and coding on Linux, I’ve had problems running Photoshop through Wine, but as powerful as it is, I don’t think GIMP is really suitable as a replacement when it comes to doing the PSD to CSS type of thing. Bluefish works great as an editor for all of my coding, and I used to have a separate editor for CSS, though I forget which (but will probably re-install it when I get to work tonight).

Anybody have any tips for linux users as far as software to use to design my mockups?

koewnet

WinXP (work)

• Notepad++[/*:m]
    • CS 1[/*:m]
    • Firefox 2 with Firebug/Web developer[/*:m]
    • IE7 with accessibility toolbar[/*:m]
    • Opera 9.0[/*:m][/list:u]

Ubuntu (Debian) (home)

• nano/vi[/*:m]
      • The GIMP[/*:m]
      • Firefox 2 (same as above)[/*:m]
      • IE6, IE5.5 and IE5[/*:m][/list:u]
    districtweb

I was wondering what the upside to using Photoshop for web design instead of Fireworks was.. specifically for wordpress theme design? I feel that Fireworks is much easier to learn than PS, but I’m not sure it’s optimal for the WordPress theming…

TheDoc

Holy three year old thread…

It has nothing to do with WordPress theming and is 100% personal preference. Personally, I use Photoshop.

standuncan

Back from the dead!!!

I use to like Fireworks and solely use it, until I learned more about Photoshop and now that is all I use. In my opinion I think Photoshop is much more powerful than Fireworks, however for some things like designing and creating simple small patterns Fireworks is much quicker/easier. Really it is all about personal preference and your abilities in each program.

districtweb

Thanks @TheDoc and @standuncan for responding! I know it’s an old thread, but what can I say?

Stan, do you know of any Fireworks video tutorials that could help me with the web design process. I know how to use the program, but I’m not sure if there are certain protocols I should follow when designing for WordPress themes? For example, specific layering or naming techniques etc for divs or layout pieces…

TheDoc

Designing for a WordPress theme is no different than designing for a website built on any platform.

jamygolden

I have pretty much the exact as @cnwtx – however I use Virtualbox ( A virtual machine application ) + Windows XP + Photoshop CS3 for image editing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.