Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What should I charge for managing a website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sethgoochdesigns
    Participant

Hey guys, Im not new to CSS-Tricks, but new to the forums. Im also somewhat a newbie web designer. Anyways, I am on the verge of landing a new client/contract. Its with the city’s website that I live in. They are wanting someone to update and maintain their existing website. They said it generally consists of posting updated Council minutes, newsletters, etc, on a monthly basis. They are asking me, what are my rates for service?

I was wondering what you guys thought about how much I should charge. Usually when I do a site for a client, I will update it for free. But since this is an existing site, I just don’t know. It is a PHP site by the way if that helps. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Seth-

Matt

I charge for total work done, including difficulty of making the site. This way, if someone gives me an uber-complicated site that only uses one page, they won’t be able to make the argument that "I only gave you one page, now charge me $X flat rate here." It comes down to what I think they should pay, which has been working so far.

sethgoochdesigns
    Participant

What do you guys think would be a fair price to charge per hour? I’m not sure how long it would take to do their updates and stuff…I doubt too long. I don’t know what people usually charge for managing/updating.

Matt
    "sethgoochdesigns" wrote:
    What do you guys think would be a fair price to charge per hour? I’m not sure how long it would take to do their updates and stuff…I doubt too long. I don’t know what people usually charge for managing/updating.

I go around $40 per hour for work done on my "off time". They get it free during my "on time", a.k.a. 8-5. It deters people from bothering me when I’m supposed to not be doing anything. They pay the flat monthly rate normally (i.e. the flat rate I give them).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.