Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS What is wrong with this box-shadow in my live project?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    CodeGraphics
    Participant

I did [this](http://codepen.io/alex13/pen/lLwKI “”) separately and it worked.
    But when I used same code in a live [website](http://www.ctrlshiftstudios.com/ChurchSite/contact.php “”) am doing, it will not show.
    What is wrong? I want the two white divs before footer to have the same drop shadow in the codepen above.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

From the looks of it, it’s a z-index issue.

@HugoGiraudel, how’s understanding z-index going, need some practice? ;)

Paulie_D

>From the looks of it, it’s a z-index issue.

Yeah…the shadows are there as you can see by turning off the `z-index:-1`.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

yes. but the one of codepen has a z-index of -1.

Paulie_D

>yes. but the one of codepen has a z-index of -1.

But that’s in isolation….a lot of other elements are involved in a live web page and they all have a z-index.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

> @HugoGiraudel, how’s understanding z-index going, need some practice? ;)

Not so much. Don’t have enough time to work on this. :D

Paulie_D

Try setting the `z-index` on the section (.clientSection) to 0. The shadows will appear but you will have to change the color to get them to look right.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

@Paulie_D, woow. It worked. But come to think of it. The. clientSection was never positioned relative or absolute or fixed. I thought only these 3 positioning can have z-index by default. Does static position have z-index too. Thank u.

Paulie_D

Z-index only takes **effect** when positioning is set but it still accumulates (I think).

All I suggested was, in effect, re-setting the…erm…index.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

> I thought only these 3 positioning can have z-index by default. Does static position have z-index too.

One of these 3 types of positioning is required for a z-index value to be interpreted by the browser. All elements on the page have a default z-index value of auto which equals 0. So, no stacking context, except for the root element which has a different behaviour.

CodeGraphics
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.