Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS what is this called?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vcarol

I’ve seen this neat banner wrapping effect at a lot of sites like this one, but I haven’t been able to figure what it is called or how to go about using it. Does anyone know?

davidlab.be
    Participant

What banner effect are you taking about?

chrisburton
    Participant

@vcarol is referring to the “Feature Portfolio” banner effect where it looks like its wrapping behind.

Bob

If that is indeed what you’re talking about, vcarol, it seems to be just a background image, like this. I have no idea if it has a specific name though.

ccc630

I *think* Chris Coyier actually did a quick how-to on this some time back. I’ve made a couple of these in the past with Photoshop, although it could be achieved with CSS3 now.

sliver37

Very recently a client wanted this effect done, it’s super simple to create this is photoshop.

It’s commonly known as a “3D ribbon” or “wrap-around” effect. Here are a couple of tutorials on creating them.

Video tutorial for photoshop:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjzulRckBYM&feature=related

And here is one modern CSS3-only version:
    Creating 3D ribbons with only CSS3

BTW that post above me is the first spammer I have seen on CSS-Tricks forums and I’m on here a lot. Historical occasion!

ccc630

@sliver — I assume you are referring to my comment, as it is the one immediately above your comment. My apologies for ‘spamming’, though that certainly wasn’t my intent. Any clarifications on why that comment is considered spam would be appreciated.

Bob

I think he meant someone else, whose post was deleted from here. I’ve seen quite some posts today that were deleted, which were probably made by the spammer he’s talking about. :)

ccc630

Okay — I’ll feel a lot better if that’s the case! :)

noahgelman
    Participant

Awwww, I totally missed it >.>

sliver37

Yeah I didn’t really think through :S

Sorry ccc630, it wasn’t targeted at you, there was indeed a real spammer just under you before it was deleted.

Again sorry for my stupidity.

ccc630

Hey, no problem at all — I just can’t believe there was a spammer on here — that is indeed a first! Let’s hope it’s also the last spammer on here. :)

TT_Mark

We’re quite quick to remove the spammers ;-)

vcarol

Thanks for the help everyone! I got the ribbon effect up and working. :)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.