Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What is the “best” text editor for Mac?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Andy Howells
    Participant

@zoom – I think you’re basically mis-understanding the value in having 3rd party developers working on plugins and the extensibility of ST2.

Steven Gardner
    Participant

I love using coda on my mac and still love using dreamweaver on my PC.

Zoom
    Participant

@andy_unleash – I don’t misunderstand anything. 3rd party plugins and extensibility are great and many editors and IDEs can use plugins, not just ST2.

However if using a feature is a core part of my workflow I’d rather have that feature being build-in rather than a 3rd party plugin because (a) I don’t need to worry about one more thing to download, install and setup (b) core features often work better – plugin quality varies greatly (c) I don’t need to worry that some plugin might stop working when I update the software (d) the company I buy the software from is responsible for all the core features while the developer of a free plugin has no responsibility to maintain it or offer any support.

davidlab.be
    Participant

I am with @zoom on this. If you have not tried Phpstorm lately then your are missing out on one hell of an IDE/text editor. ST2 is good, but i never use it. Phpstorm does so much more and the plugins are great. The new Less compiler is awesome. If you try it make sure to try the new version 6 EPA. It has the Dracula theme and is fast.

MickeyB

I started with Dreamweaver CS2, changed to Coda (mostly for the price) and loved it. Then I tried Sublime Text 2 (on recommendation) and aside from the code colour highlighting change from Coda to ST2 (which has been surprising hard to change) it’s been amazing!

The only issue I’ve had, to-date, is the change-over from Zen-coding to Emmet. I know it’s not the fault of Sublime Text 2, but I just had to toss that one in there.

PicnicTutorials
    Participant

I just switched to mac. I’ve been using dreamweaver for 10 years. I hand code but do use lots of DW handy little automation things. After obsessing on this for a couple days I think I’m going to try Coda 2 first. Seems more like what I’m accustomed to compared to Sublime.

Sublime Text is doing great and bringing good editor technics for mac …

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.