Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What is the Best Advanced website design tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

@theacefes True dat. I’m out.

codeaholic
    Participant

Ok guys, you are gods gift to design and programming, what is or is not great design, and or great coding…lets just agree upon those premises and get back on (or for most you just joining or trolling, STAY) on topic.

I got my answers and marked the topic with the good answers and have no ability to mark the bad (or really no) answers, and really don’t need any more attacks thanks.

Shikkediel
    Participant

JavaScript is definitely a programming language though… and if one’s really good at it, I would consider that pretty special.

I can’t add much when it comes to recommending website tools – writing it all in EditPad myself. Often use Codepen for seeing some instantaneous effect of the changes.

Edit – looks like a late response with five new posts in between…

codeaholic
    Participant

dude, you never came in “on topic” except to make ad-hominem attacks so thanks well for “nothing”.

codeaholic
    Participant

Shikkediel,
    I have EditPad. Have you used NotePad++ ? I have heard good things about that one… VIM to me is an old rudimentary UNIX text editor and that feels like going backwards for me since I know its history.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Don’t take it too hard. That’s the problem with a question that can have opinion based answers…

Never had to try Notepad++, ended up with downloading Editpad and it’s rather perfect for my purpose. Codepen is very handy for finding small errors and not having to upload the files each time.

Have you looked at Bootstrap for example? Not exactly what you might be looking for initially but it’ll take care of a lot of the basic coding – and make the page responsive.

codeaholic
    Participant

Tru dat. My mistake on making the thread too open ended. I apologize and I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes.

I don’t fall in love with my “tools” and use the tool that’s right for the job and the job changes every day so I’m not going to defend or defeat any method or tool that gets the job done.

I’ve looked at it but I don’t think that’s the way we are going. We are looking to use Jquery mobile with a mix of JSON against .NET WPM services with a SOA backbone. Then we will bridge that backbone with Cordova and PhoneGap to take the single codebase with simultaneous adjuncts for web, iOS and Android deployment. At least that is the theory.

I know its popular though…so I will look at it some more.

nixnerd
    Participant

I cannot resist.

What do you mean by this @Shikkediel:

and not having to upload the files each time.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Just that having to use FTP and refreshing the test environment with each change can be avoided…

nixnerd
    Participant

@Shikkediel

Right. But why not just use a local server?

I’m not against Codepen. I love Codepen. But for me the big win is being able to show things… not necessarily prototype them.

nixnerd
    Participant

@codeaholic Since I’m back… I’ll address this:

VIM to me is an old rudimentary UNIX text editor and that feels like going backwards for me since I know its history.

I defy anyone to find a text editor that is faster to use once you know it. The navigation and yank commands alone are miles ahead of any other text editor (with the possible exception of Emacs).

I understand that the modal paradigm is not for everyone. But it’s nothing if not efficient.

If you don’t like it… fine. But to say it’s ‘old’ and ‘rudimentary’ is just ridiculous and ignorant. It has more plugins than any other editor (with the possible exception of Emacs) and some of the best programmers in the world use it. Can’t be too bad.

codeaholic
    Participant

lol. A hammer is great for Nails. A screwdriver is great for screws. Ok, we understand..You fell in love with VIM…that’s fine…no need to defend your love. VIM is the greatest thing since sliced bread…there I’m on record.

nixnerd
    Participant

A hammer is great for Nails. A screwdriver is great for screws.

…Vim is great for text.

It’s not about love. It’s about truth. I correct what I can for posterity’s sake. We wouldn’t want someone to stumble across this thread and think you’re an authority on text editors and get bad advice.

codeaholic
    Participant

[…Vim is great for text.]

Oh, that is DEFINETLY true, so there you have agreement and so we can move on.

{Also, it is “old”, an adaptation from VI, which has been around longer than notepad, Microsoft or Apple. That is where my prejudice comes from..sorry}

Shikkediel
    Participant

Right. But why not just use a local server?

Didn’t have to install one so far because of Codepen. :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.