Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What is really the way to go, with the X-UA-Compatible header meta tag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    terungwa
    Participant

I was taking a look at the X-UA-Compatible header meta tag ” and while popularly, it is opined that this meta tag makes sure the latest version of IE is used in versions of IE that contain multiple rendering engines; and I have seen it included in a couple of boilerplates. However on the Microsoft Developer Network site, it is stated that the Edge mode is intended for testing purposes only; and not to be used in a production environment, because it forces all pages to be opened in standards mode, regardless of the version of Internet Explorer, more-so that the X-UA-Compatible header is only supported starting with Windows Internet Explorer 8.

What is really the way to go with this meta tag?

terungwa
    Participant

Thanks @traq.

But I was wondering, considering that all supported versions of Internet Explorer (including Microsoft Internet Explorer 6) interpret the HTML5 document type as a standards mode document type, and using the HTML5 document type for all webpages that don’t require a different declaration ensures that webpages are presented in the highest available standards mode; why not simply use the HTML5 document type declaration If you want all supported versions of Internet Explorer to open your pages in standards mode, rather than resort to the X-UA-Compatible header meta tag to force this behavior in modern designs?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.