Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What do you guys think of MobileMe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vincent

Any of you guys use MobileMe? How do you like it? It sounds more like something someone would use if they didn’t know how cheap space costs. But, I know there’s a lot of features that go a long with MobileMe, including the nice me.com email :D

TheDoc

Actually, in terms of pricing for that kind of service, MobileMe is one of the cheapest.

Check out this post:

http://blog.themeforest.net/resources/r … designers/

vincent

Yeah, I saw that. I’m wondering though, is it worth it to people that have websites with unlimited space? I’m sure the interface and options of MobileMe are fantastic, and the back up features it has are probably nice. But, 20G is like nothing now…

TheDoc

20G is a pretty big chunk, though. It’s not meant to be housing your entire movie and tv show collection. It’s meant for small files and simple backups that you can access on the road.

Everyone should already have an backup harddrive at home.

If you don’t, stop reading this right now, go to the store and get one. "But I don’t need one, I take care of my stuff". No, you need one. I came back from vacation, the computer hadn’t even been touched in 3 days. Turned it on, totally destroyed. It just decided to give in at that exact moment. Don’t wear your seatbelt, go sky diving, swim with sharks, but for the sake of your safety PLEASE BUY A BACKUP HD!

End rant!

[edit]Not directed at you, Vincent, but anyone that’s reading.[/edit]

vincent

Lol

Yeah, I don’t have a backup… :( I’d love to get a Time Capsule, but of course they are a ton of money.

Damnit… I am reading about the Time Capsule while I am writing this, and it works as a wireless router also… I bought the AirPort thing for like $100. If you didn’t already have a wireless network, it would be $100 off, which isn’t AS bad…

When I do buy one, it would probably be this…
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/TT954LL/A
    $100 now, since it’s $50 off…

TheDoc

Yea, external drives are so cheap now, there’s really no excuse not to have one.

ScottMacD

i have mobile me… i think its great! keeps my contacts, email, ical etc all in sync between my laptop and desktop, also with my iphone.

i didnt get MobileMe until i got a macbook, because i just used to sync my iphone with the imac and everything was fine, now because i have the laptop it gets more complicated, but i think mobile me solved that problem.

another boost from it is the 10GB idisk.. i use this for keeping files likes my photoshop presets, design resources, templates etc.

means when im at uni and dont have my laptop i can still get access to my files via me.com

basicly… you;ll benefit from mobile me best if you are a mac user with more than one computer (e.g imac, macbook) , and even more so if you have an iPhone.

its still a great service for windows users, but it has its downsides.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Every year I cough up for it and it ticks me off every time. I don’t use hardly any of it. I think dropbox is far superior in terms of file storage. I don’t need the email. The only thing I NEED is the ability to keep my contacts and calenders synced across multiple computers.

I think it should be FREE. Not to be a whiner and get something for nothing, but it just doesn’t offer that much and I think it makes more sense for Apple to give these things away for yet another marketing bullet as to why going Mac is the way to go.

Matt
    "chriscoyier" wrote:
    Every year I cough up for it and it ticks me off every time. I don’t use hardly any of it. I think dropbox is far superior in terms of file storage. I don’t need the email. The only thing I NEED is the ability to keep my contacts and calenders synced across multiple computers.

I think it should be FREE. Not to be a whiner and get something for nothing, but it just doesn’t offer that much and I think it makes more sense for Apple to give these things away for yet another marketing bullet as to why going Mac is the way to go.

Have you tried creating a personal server to cache all of your contact info? You know, with something like dotMac?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.