Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End What do you call php variables like this: $this->hello

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mattvot

They must have a name but I can’t find it.

What’s the arrow called?

mattvot

hmm, That sort of makes sense. Sometimes I see them with a function like:

Code:
    $this->function();

Well, pHp is quite similar to c / c++ and in c++, the term obj->item is used to access the item of the class of which obj is an object.
    Don’t know if it means the same here in pHP or not.Anyway, I have to brush up my C++ a bit.. been ages since I last used it. Am more of a C guy hehe. Will study a bit and get back to you :)

Argeaux
    Participant

You use this when you access a variable which is set in a class. These variables are called properties of a class.

$this-> stands for a property in the current class you are working in. and hello for the name.

Code:

So in the example above $this->hello stands for ‘hello doug’.

Its used in objective oriented programming in php (or short: OOP).
    So maybe you can find more info with those words.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

yup the guys above are right – you could set up a new object by assigning for example a class you made to connect to a database…

$this = new connection();

connection is the class you are accessing – inside the class are the functions – (well methods if they are inside a class – but hey…)

you can then access the functions/methods via the "->"

$this->addNew();

if you see "=>" that is what defines a key within an array – it can be a little double take-ish when you first see it though…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.