Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What career options could there possibly be for me? (Feeling very hopeless)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hyngchl1
    Participant

I graduated from college in May with a degree in Journalism in May with no internship experience whatsoever. Before that, I went to community college and received an associate’s degree in business administration (but honestly didn’t really learn anything and BS’d my way through). Upon graduating from college with a Journalism degree, I felt like I was going nowhere, especially with a degree in Journalism (since I have absolutely no internship experience). So in the summer, I decided to go for a complete career change and had a passion for becoming a future web developer. So on August, I started a 12-week full stack web development bootcamp. However, upon completion of the bootcamp, I still felt very insecure about my coding skills and reached the point where I was even embarrassed to put down Javascript and Ruby under my “skills” on my resume. I’m still struggling to understand fundamental concepts. I can only say that I am very comfortable with HTML, CSS, and the very fundamentals of Javascript. The bootcamp was a brutal experience for me due to the speed and the fact that I was not exposed to any programming logic until the first day of class. However, I do not want to end my passion to become a web developer but I do want to find a job ASAP because I’m already 23 years old now, and I don’t want to spend my time everyday in my room coding (until I reach that point where I can start actually applying to web development jobs) without making any money. I’m pretty sure at this stage, it would be nearly impossible to apply to any web development related jobs (I just do not have the skills yet) and I’m just sitting here not knowing what to do with my career. Could there any be light for me?

bearhead
    Participant

Right now, you might be better off looking for a job that you can apply your journalism degree to. Then on the side, develop your web development skills through freelance work. Once you have a portfolio of web development work, you could try applying for that type of job.

I think you might have a difficult time finding work as a web developer without a degree in a related field or any professional experience :\

If you go the freelance route, it would also be a good idea to get comfortable working with WordPress.

Shikkediel
    Participant

A combination of journalism and knowledge of web design sounds like something with a lot of future possibilities to me. Two weeks isn’t a whole lot though, I’d focus on the journalism aspect first. Then practice with web design and start integrating both. Sounds exactly where news delivery has been heading for a while.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.