Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Website testing + feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hiya guys and gals, I just published a re-design of a dance company I’m a member of. We’re based in Ireland and I was hoping to get a little feedback before shouting from the rooftops that it’s live.

I have used some techniques that are relatively new to me—media queries, svgs etc and I have limited access to various browsers. So any feedback or bug finds would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s the link [http://ponydance.com/](http://ponydance.com/ “”)

Tanx a million

Anonymous
    Inactive

The logo drop is really cool and creative, probably my favorite thing on the website. You used really good colors. The website is also very responsive. But if you look at the website on IE8, i’m sure you’d faint. But if you don’t care about IE8 at all then leave it like that and optimize it for IE9+. Very nice and creative design. I almost can’t find anything bad about it at all. Good job.

Cheers dude. Yes in my head I had written off IE8—that being said I should for sure add some sort of print stylesheet fallback. Previous stats show that there were very little IE users so it’s no too bad.

Yes the logo is my favourite too was a subtle way to say ‘we are a comedy company’ :)

Alen
    Participant

IMO, you need to add some introductory text on the home page. I understand you are trying to be minimal, but give the visitor some info/direction. You imposed some criteria on us (reviewers) by saying:

> a re-design of a dance company I’m a member of

would we know this if you didn’t mention it here?

Adding some content would help with SEO.

Font’s look choppy on “horse feed” page. (I’m on Chrome).

Other than that, it’s pretty clean and simple; easy to navigate. Overall great job.

@AlenAbdula Thanks, yeah I had this conversation with the company director she was keen have the less is more—in the hope of creating some intrigue. I agree there is that danger of people just not caring and abandoning the search.

Thanks for the tip on the font. It’s from typekit, I noticed it also didn’t look to great on my friends PC maybe I could play with size and weight to get a good average or finding a better body font.

I amended the type to be larger. I think it goes a little way to help readability. Tomorrow ill do various device testing, if it doesn’t hold up maybe ill choose another typeface.

chrisburton
    Participant

Really love the colors here!

The reason Brandon Grotesque doesn’t look great is because it wasn’t meant for small sizes. It’s a display face. Also, Chrome doesn’t render anti-aliasing properly, unfortunately. Now, on the other hand, Open Sans which you are using for headings, is optimized for small sizes. You could switch it up (Open Sans for body copy and Brandon Grotesque for headings) and I bet it would render much better. Although, I don’t think these two compliment each other.

Hannes von Döhren released Brandon Text recently and it should be coming out via Typekit at some point.

@chrisburton thanks, think you hit the nail on the head there. I’m gonna have a play around today. I did see Brendon Text, if it shows up ill give it a try.

Actually the colours I’m using for the background are the named colours in CSS e.g. IndianRed, unfortunately I had to remove some of the lighter ones I loved because there was a lack of contrast on low resolutions screens.

@Melindrea yeah the colours are randomly generated from a list of chosen colours.

It’s a bit of an experiment. The company embrace this ‘soo bad it’s good’ philosophy, so I even threw some nasty colours so the safisfation is heightened when you get a good one. It’s a little risky but I’m interested to see the reaction.

Yeah I’ll experiment with a tag line ‘comedy dance theatre company’ to ensure people know what we are about.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.