Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Website Keyword Stacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    D2WebDesigns

Is it disrespectful for a designer/developer to add their company name within the keyword list of a website they have designed/developed?

Before I get blasted let me state that when I create a design I give the client the design with and without a small logo and link in the footer.

But is stuffing an additional mention in the Keywords (especially when there is plenty of space) uncouth?

chrisburton
    Participant

I wouldn’t do it just because there’s really no reason to.

Bonzai
    Participant

You will be better off putting a link to your site in the footer of the website. Since it’s a link, it will mean more for your site and also, that’s usually the place everyone looks to find out who designed the site.

D2WebDesigns

I love how fast I get good, quality responses in this forum… I would love to see it expanded to other web design/development tasks.

This just goes to show how little I know about SEO and why I have an expert that does it for me when the clients asks for it.

I assumed Keywords were still a fundamental part of SEO =D

I’ll stick with my current route of utilizing the link in the footer if the client allows and ignore the Meta Keyword connection. That’s one thing I love about WordPress, it allows me to utilize a simple checkbox that the customer can change to allow/disallow a footer link.

chrisburton
    Participant

Meta keywords are not as important as they once were.

As for a link in the footer, I always thought that appeared cheap and unprofessional. I usually would just add a section at the top of their CSS/JS. Or if the project is more of a web industry related thing, perhaps in the about page.

TheDoc

It all depends on the project. I generally do it for small-scale projects as it’s become common practice. It’s actually part of the contract I have clients sign. If they *don’t* want it to be a part of a project, that’s okay! I just increase the project cost by a little bit.

chrisburton
    Participant

But isn’t that what your portfolio is for, to display the work you’ve done? And most importantly, why should the client pay you not to advertise on the site they’ve already paid for? Asking is one thing but I don’t believe driving up the price is the right way to go about it if they decline. That’s just my opinion on the topic.

dfogge
    Participant

i’m with chris on this. +1 for not advertising yourself on a paying client’s website.

TheDoc

Because I’m essentially offering a *discount* to include it. They aren’t paying me to *not* do it, they are choosing to remove a discount (I should have mentioned that).

chrisburton
    Participant

Ah, okay. That makes better sense (even though I disagree).

TheDoc

Perhaps times have changed, but I’d say it’s still common practice; though I agree that doesn’t necessarily make it ‘right’.

jeffc

Cds/albums list the producer, books list the typesetting/printing house. Nobody finds that producer’s or printing house’s portfolio by magically landing on their website; people learn of them from the cd or book until they build their reputation.

If you work for an established co./team (or indeed, if you don’t want your name associated with the site), there’s no need for a mention. But if you’re an indie freelancer, startup, small team and it’s a good site, then by all means why wouldn’t you want a mention? We’re talking about the last tiny line at the bottom of the footer, where people are accustomed to finding such info, as @Bonzai noted.

Future customers are only going to hear of you through word-of-mouth and site footer mentions. When you’re established, there won’t be any need; -heck, by then, sites might _want_ to proudly namecheck your webco as having des/dev’d their site. I don’t see right/wrong or taste/tactless coming into play. Are you going to ask The Pixies or Patti Smith to _not_ put your name in the liner notes as the producer?

chrisburton
    Participant

@jeffc Print is different from web. I think I’m just used to seeing horrible looking footer advertisements from the designer. I do like how Jessica Hische uses a colophon for Erik Marinovich’s site.

jeffc

@chrisburton Agreed, but I was only referring to a “site by xyz” mention, not an actual ad. I think the music producer analogy is apt, though.

chrisburton
    Participant

If it flows, great. But I wouldn’t design the footer around “site by name”. The analogy works if it’s required (product licensing of some sort), otherwise I disagree.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.