Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Website for evaluatiom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Slegaitis
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Quick one. I developed this website as my first kinda attempt for something a little more advanced to what im used to.

If you could what would you add or remove if it was your website? Maybe some new functionality?

Im very new to web development so please do take it easy too ;) I didn’t use any templates or ready made scripts for the website.

This is intended to be a web design inspiration gallery

Fire away.

WebAwwards

ChecMark
    Participant

You might want to correct your forum title. I’m a little confused. What is the website URL. I clicked on WebAwards then somehow got to one of the best sites I’ve ever seen. I am furiously working on mine using the Enfold theme, but I absolutely LOVE your design and hopefully it’s the one you designed. Can I steal it? lol

Slegaitis
    Participant

ChecMark yes I designed everything myself and from scratch ;) did not use any templates or ready made scripts.

Im glad you like it. Sure. You can get some ideas from the site. ;)

Atelierbram
    Participant

Hesitate to comment on this, because I don’t I agree with the premis that you “did not use any templates or ready made scripts“, when you are building on top of Bootstrap, and are using jQuery. No problem with using those, but it’s not really from scratch, is it?
    Anyway, I can see something shining through here, but dare I suggest the following: start over, this time really from scratch, but keep the visual part that you layered on top of Bootstrap, as a reference. Also because this is supposed to be a “web design inspiration gallery“: but (for example) when the navigation menu on this looks like all the others that were build upon Bootstrap, maybe it’s better to have something more original, something that stands out more .

Slegaitis
    Participant

Atelierbram apologies… :) I do get your point.. :)

I really appreciate your honest reply. And I think you are right..

When I said no ready made scripts or templates I meant that I did not download ready made scripts from the internet where you have to insert and thats it.

In regards to bootstrap you would still have to write everything yourself its just the CSS part that it is made for you in regards to floats and sizes. All customisation needs to be done by the developer / designer. But I guessed you’ve been in this field for a lot longer than I have so I wont argue :)

Yeah I might re do the nav and maybe few other bits Ill post an update soon ;)

Atelierbram
    Participant

I get where you are coming from, no need for apologies really … I see it more as a symptom of a greater phenomena; that is: a “blind spot” (among many) when it comes to using frameworks. Like it’s “water from the tap” , something that is supposedly “neutral” . And yes, it is meant as constructive criticism, because I do see the care, and attention to detail, that you gave it, and maybe also the pleasure of making it shines through: let no one take that away from you!

ChecMark
    Participant

Sorry, don’t want to appear brain dead here, but I still don’t know what website you built. Also, I am really having some challenges using Enfold and support is lacking. Most of the issues are with the LayerSlider and the theme developer just says it’s not theirs and the developer is not very responsive. Every time I point out a problem I get that they will “look at it” but no immediate solution.

I’ve dabbled in web design for years and know enough just to be dangerous. The “look and feel” of the site I think you designed is perfect, but I don’t want to just steal it and I’m wondering how difficult it would be to use your design. For example, I’ve built quite a few sliders and don’t want to start all over again.

You can see the build in progress at PrismCareerNetworks.com/prism_wordpress.

Cheers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.