Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Website Font Recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    goalieman34

I am looking to improve my website and add in some new fonts. I have never done this before so just looking for some guidance. I have always like Myriad Pro – Sans serif but do not know if it would look good or not. If you could recommend some fonts that would be great. Thanks everyone

http://www.jobspark.ca/

chrisburton
    Participant

What’s your budget?

goalieman34

I have no idea what fonts cost but my budget would be maybe $60-100. Not sure if that enough

JMar

You could use a typekit. Typically you can get one for free but you could pay more for access to more fonts. What you do is choose your fonts, and then paste a line of code in your head> to link out to the typekit to display your fonts. I use adobe’s typekit.com, there’s also fonts.com and probably many more.

chrisburton
    Participant

@goalieman34

Gosh, I hope @Eric is being sarcastic.

For sake of quality, I’d go with Webtype. You can choose two styles for that amount. Lately I’ve been a big fan of Benton Sans.
    If you want a more robust selection, go with Typekit’s Portfolio plan.

Let me know which you choose so I can help narrow down your requirements for a selection.

Choosing webfonts is just like developing a site that’s cross-platform/browser compatible. Many people don’t test their selections which usually end up looking horrible on Windows. That’s why I recommend Webtype but Typekit does a decent job as well (sometimes).

goalieman34

@chrisburton thanks for letting me know about Webtype. I will choose some styles and let you know how I make out. I want a professional looking website so looking for quality and willing to pay some. Thanks again

goalieman34

oh sorry one last question. Is there an alternative way to having to pay monthly or annually? Just wondering if I have to use those options.

chrisburton
    Participant

@goalieman34 What would you like to do? Webtype is really flexible in terms of plans. I just started a custom order with them for the upcoming release of Harriet.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Eric

@goalieman34
    asked for improving his website.

Unless you’re recommending Droid Sans, Droid Serif or a couple of other pretty good typefaces on there, I’d do a bit of research before advocating them, that’s all.

eristic
    Participant

The neatest thing about Webtype is it allows you to try out a font before buying it.

Other options include [Font Squirrel](http://www.fontsquirrel.com) which has some good fonts and is free. On a limited budget, you might try refining your search at [My Fonts](http://www.myfonts.com) to include $80 max price.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.