Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Website feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    AndrewPham
    Participant

It’s a non-English website, sorry! Anyway, what do you think? What are my pluses, if any? Which are the negatives? What should I improve?

Thanks in advance!

[Website](http://ilas.ro “Ilas Beauty Center”)

MBM
    Participant

I think you should change the colour of the slider buttons and maybe use a background with opacity for the image captions.

The image on this page looks awful. You should be able to find a better one :

http://ilas.ro/servicii

AndrewPham
    Participant

I know about the image. It’s the owner’s decision, I tried to convince her.

AWKM
    Participant

Just a few more technical opinions

– meta keywords are not really used any more so there’s not much point having them in your code.
    – move your javascripts to the bottom of the document [more info](http://awkm.org/simple-ways-to-make-website-faster.php “more info”)

AndrewPham
    Participant

@AWKM Alright, let’s say no more keywords. What could I use for SEO instead (besides content), considering that all my links, h1’s, strong’s, titles and semantics aren’t working?

AndrewPham
    Participant

It’s only a presentation website. I don’t have so much text to put in. Just 2 intro paragraphs, the team details and the services’ names.
    By “aren’t working” I mean that, even though I respected every SEO rule, my website is simply not ranked high enough. I cannot write “beauty center” and spread this words all over the place. They need to be logically placed. And even when I copy some text from the website, search it on Google, it won’t show up. Text about a specific person from the team, which is impossible to find somewhere else.

AWKM
    Participant

Have you looked into microdata? It’s supposed to be pretty useful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=using+schema.org

darrylm

I prefer the website without the background image, it makes the website appear dated in my opinion.

The effect is used on the site title and this is enough.
    The website is for a salon, and using a white/plain background is appropriate to how a salon would look like if you walked in off the high street, with a clean and open design.

darrylm

Also, speed up the transitions on the reason blocks as users probably won’t hover over them for the amount of time the white text takes to drop down.

AndrewPham
    Participant

> I prefer the website without the background image, it makes the website appear dated in my opinion.

Remove the background-image property, from the dev-tools of your browser. Is that what you think it’s more appropiate? White background?

It kinda’ gives me a feeling of “empty website”. I don’t know, it may be because it’s my own one…

TreeRoot
    Participant

FYI, you have a PHP notice being echoed on your “Servicii” page. PHP notices, warnings, and errors should never been shown to your visitors.

I see you’re using Bradley, Oswald, Oswald Light, Calibri, Lucida Sans, and Arial in various spots. There does seem to be a typographic inconsistency and randomness to the site. At some of the font sizes there isn’t much visual difference between the styles, so it seems unnecessary.

I would declare a default font on the body, as it’s defaulting to whatever your visitors’ browsers default to (ie, Times New Roman for PCs), pare down or better structure your font selection, and tack on some fallbacks (ie, sans-serif) to the end of your font-family font stacks. You may also want to unload some of your font family choices onto google web fonts (such as Oswald) instead of embedding them directly within your CSS file. The more fonts you embed, the longer the page load time for your visitors.

I think the background is good, as it matches the theme of the site.

AndrewPham
    Participant

> FYI, you have a PHP notice being echoed on your “Servicii” page. PHP notices, warnings, and errors should never been shown to your visitors.

Sorry about that, I was trying something last night and I enabled error reporting. I forgot to disable it back.

> I see you’re using Bradley, Oswald, Oswald Light, Calibri, Lucida Sans, and Arial in various spots. There does seem to be a typographic inconsistency and randomness to the site. At some of the font sizes there isn’t much visual difference between the styles, so it seems unnecessary.

I use Bradley for the “scroll” effect. Oswald fot titles, OswaldLight just a bit in the footer, and Calibri for the rest of the text. “Lucida Sans” is some sort of replace for Calibri, as it looks better on bigger sizes, for the menu. There is no big difference between them. And I don’t use Arial at all. So, besides the embedding thing, you’re suggesting that I should remove some of the fonts?

@deeve007

Even if I thought of some other keywords, how could I implement them, as I only have two paragraphs of text?

PS: I’ve changed the scroll image, to the one I wanted to use originally. It’s better, isn’t it? Although I don’t think I’ll keep it…

darrylm

Sorry for the late reply, yes, I think the white background is much more effective

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.