Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Website Design Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I would like to know if it is best to design website in illustrator first before doing css/html work?

kgscott284
    Participant

It is generally best to have a visual blueprint up or at least the structure sketched up so you have something to work off of. I don’t believe that it is ever a good idea to just start without some kind of starting point.

Thanks

Paulie_D

Illustrator…no.

Fireworks…yes.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

Or if you’re a true warrior, MS Paint.

On topic, I usually skip the Fireworks/Photoshop part (when I can), mostly because I suck as hell with those tools, but I always spend a decent amount of time on paper. Paper is good to sketch things, people often seem to forget this.

Paulie_D

The beautiful thing about FW is that can create States and it also exports CSS (I believe).

Intro to the Lynda.com course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5OXEir0F6g

Ongoing WebDesign-Tuts series: http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/sessions/fireworks-in-the-real-world/

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

> […] and it also exports CSS (I believe).

I wouldn’t try that.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Paulie_D What’s wrong with doing vector artwork in Illustrator?

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

I believe @Paulie_d recommanded Fireworks over Illustrator because as far as I know, Fireworks is meant to do webdesign while Illustrator is better suited for print design (I’d say).

Paulie_D

>What’s wrong with doing vector artwork in Illustrator?

Nothing…that’s what it’s for…but that wasn’t the question.

The question was “design website” _(sic)_….I would argue that that is **precisely** what FW is for.

Mag
    Participant
    Paulie_D

That’s a good idea for basic layout…but actual design?

Jonathand_d

I agree with Paulie_D Fireworks is the best tool for muck-up production. However I do kind of move from Fireworks back to Photoshop.

Paulie_D

>**muck-up **production

LOL

chrisburton
    Participant

@Paulie_D Oops. I thought you were implying something else. I agree that Fireworks is strictly suited for the web. However, I still prefer PS and AI as a hybrid because you never know when you’ll need it for print work (personal business cards, etc).

@ChrisP
    I’ve heard great things about Sketch.

As for the original question, I agree with what @kgscott284 had to say. Especially when it comes to client work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.