Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Dev Research Assignment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Miela84
    Participant

Hi,
    I hope this is the correct place to post this. I watch the CSS-Tricks tutorials quite a bit and I’m majoring in Web Development. I’m taking a research class and I have to do some research related to my field as my final project. I’m drawing a blank. I was wondering if anyone here has any interesting ideas. It’s not expected to be really complicated research, just something to provide an exercise in research, like a survey or doing interviews and examining the results.
    I was thinking maybe some sort of research in usability, which layouts people prefer, but I haven’t quite gotten to how I could execute that without it taking tons of time.
    Maybe as another idea I was thinking if developers prefer to even consider IE6 anymore..? I think that’s been talked about quite a bit already though.
    Any ideas? I’d appreciate the help. I have researchers block or something.

Miela84
    Participant

Thanks I appreciate you removing the duplicate. My computer froze on me. Research about research. That might be interesting.

SpringMountain
    Participant

check out heat maps, web usability testing.

http://usabilla.com/
    http://www.clickdensity.com/

maybe there’s a professor on campus who has one of those eye tracking devices, so you can run your own tests.

Miela84
    Participant

Ohh good idea with the heat maps. I could do a free trial at clickdensity maybe. Thanks so much. This is all helping. I didn’t know Microsoft gave up on IE6 too.

Miela84
    Participant

I just realized I can’t do research on the eye tracking because I need a special camera. I take my classes online so I can’t do that. Hmm..

Johnnyb

I think it’d make an interesting research project to see how many developers truly strive to make the websites they build accessible. I’ve been designing websites for a good few years now and always claimed they were accessible, but I recently started a new job at an online university and after using screen-readers and other accessibility tools first-hand it’s made me realize how inaccessible other sites I’ve made are.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.