Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web dev apps for Mac 2014

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Krsiak Daniel
    Participant

Hi,

I managed to create this list of web dev apps for Mac during last 2 years with some help of local community :)

I was out of the game for a year. Catching up.
    I am looking for advice on 3 things.

1. What is your favourite RWD app for Mac ?
    2. Any app that stands out in 2014 that comes to your mind ?
    3. Out of curiosity if you were to help friend starting with MAC web dev apps, what would be your “bare minimum survival” setup to help you get the work done ?
    Krsiak Daniel
    Participant
    nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t use a Mac… nor do I use Adobe products. However, I would say that Illustrator is by far more important than Photoshop.

nixnerd
    Participant

And most of the Mac people I know are now using Sketch in lieu of Photoshop.

__
    Participant

Minimum setup I can think of is some $0:

EDITOR

activestate.com/komodo-edit

SFTP

use Linux (simply drag and drop from your desktop); otherwise:

FileZilla

MySQL + APACHE

use Linux (simply install from a repo); otherwise:

mariadb.org*
    apache.org

* mariadb is a drop-in replacement for mysql; but you can (of course) still use mysql if you’d like.

PREPROCESSING

Many free options to choose from… grunt, sass, etc., or roll your own.
    …I don’t have strong opinions on this.

PHOTOSHOP (ish)

inkscape.org
    gimp.org

GIT

git-scm.com

Everything listed is cross-platform (Linux, Mac, Win) and open source.

nixnerd
    Participant

SFTP
    use Linux (simply drag and drop from your desktop); otherwise:

And on that note, if you use git with any degree of proficiency, there is no need for SFTP at all. Haven’t used it in forever.

Also, I would so highly recommend Nginx. It’s super easy to configure and quite nice to work with. I had an apache package break a few months ago and I’m still pretty bitter about it. Nginx could EASILY break… but it would be a hell of a lot easier to fix. 1 config file.

nixnerd
    Participant

use Linux (simply drag and drop from your desktop);

To this end, we’ve talked about minimum setups before. I know developers FAR better than me… who roll with a $300 Chromebook, a lightweight Linux distro and everything they need to do their jobs.

That puts the investment at $300 TOTAL. Machine + Software (it’s all free). Not too shabby.

I confess, I spent more than that on hardware. But my software costs are close to $0. The only thing I pay for is private repos on Github.

nixnerd
    Participant

I suppose I should pay for a Sublime Text license… but I keep telling myself that I’ll learn Vim eventually.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.