Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Design without Adobe Suite?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    dalecooper

As a matter of fact, I am prepared for business related costs and this is why I have so few money to spend in the software. I had to buy myself hardware too.

I am followed up by a state organization that helps business creators in the beginning process.

It’s a long time since I’m not a student anymore. I’m 28 years old and worked in several companies (and had several occupations) before I create my own business.

StephenESC

Maybe I’m missing something, but why all the hate for Adobe’s subscription-based licensing?

I keep hearing people say that it’s more expensive in the long-run, but if you’re used to buying the Creative Suite for both print and web design, and upgrading regularly, I can’t see it being more expensive for almost seven years. Plus, the subscription deal gives you access to everything, and the latest of it. Monthly payments also make tracking cost for software purchases easier for tax purposes.

Besides, even if you do decide to “buy” the applications outright, you never actually own the software, only a license. And technically even that, in some circumstances, could be revoked.

chrisburton
    Participant

@JoshWhite What Typekit plan does it come with?

Edit: Whoa! It comes with the ‘Portfolio’ plan. I wish I would have known this before upgrading to CS6 (PS & AI) and the Portfolio plan at the same time.

JeremyL

I think the key here is profitability as mentioned in the original post (… show profit in a few months ?)
    If start up capital is the problem, why not start with the Creative Cloud (currently at US$49.99 per month for annual
    or US$74.99 per month month by month.
    then once you have built up some cashflow from clients, then buy your software.

I assume you like the adobe products and want to use them, it’s just the cashola. Is that correct?
    It’s been a few months now, wonder how what you did?

dalecooper

Well, I didn’t go for a full adobe suite.

The only one I got is Fireworks, which is good for mockups, opens AI and PS files and has it’s fair load of options.

I use Sketch for Vector Graphics, which is very good and well maintained with regular major updates. I like the UI and ergonomics. When I need to do very complex stuffs, I use Inkscape which has a lot of options.

For bitmaps I use Pixelmator, which can do almost anything if you are not afraid to loose all the pre-build layer effects and make them by hand. The UI is slick and the software inexpensive. If I need to come back to a photoshop-like interface, I use Gimphoto, which is Gimp with photoshop menu layout and shortcuts.

I use Cheetah 3D for 3D stuffs, which is very good and really easy to use when you come from 3DSMAX!

Scribus is my InDesign replacement. It’s full fledged but has an annoying interface, which needs constant repeating tasks (ie: when you select a new object, you need to re-open the option window you were in while with the last object).

As for content management (bridge replacement) I use Raskin, which really improves my workflow.

Digikam and iPhoto for photo management and manipulation ; MotionComposer for basic flash creaction ; and Coda 2 for HTML editing.

It all costed me far less than an Adobe suite and I grew really familiar with all those tools. I actually like working with them, and not being stuck with Adobe philosophy. I also like being able to contact devs and ask them for new features and have them implemented in the next version (Sketch dev is good for that!).

So that’s it I think. Let me know what you think about it ;)

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.