Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Design Degree Useless?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 106 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    __
    Participant

has anyone used Pluralsight?

Last year, I won a free month’s subscription at a local event. Verdict: depends on what you want to learn. I was not able to find anything for PHP or JavaScript that I would recommend. I did, however, find a damn nice Python series.

I wouldn’t rule them out. It looks like they do offer a free trial now. I’d spend that time doing a lot of browsing to see how many of the courses might interest you.

nixnerd
    Participant

@TheDoc, just read a .Net article on Hacker News. Apparently it’s HUGE in India.

nixnerd
    Participant

What do you want to build OP? What’s your dream project?

Erik
    Participant

@NIX To be honest I’m a stay at home dad and always wanted to do something from home.

I found that building websites was fun when I started to messed with CSS in Weebly and then went to WordPress.

Honestly my dream project right now is to get good at something to make money for my family.. I mean we all want to make money, right?

But in the future.. I would love to be able to just keep learning and be involved in some great new technology.

There is so much to learn, I just need to find that one thing that really gets the heart pumping.

Maybe I’m being to unrealistic, but hey no vision is too small.

nixnerd
    Participant

@Erik, do you even have a vague idea? Like: “I love to play Call of Duty. I’d love to code video games someday.” Or “Mobile apps excite me. I’d like to code the next Angry Birds.” or “I love big enterprise. I’d like to work on the software that powers Wall Street.”

Go nuts dude. Your dream can be whatever you want. And actually, if you know where you’d like to end up… sometimes that can help the journey a bit.

One time @Alen gave me a link to a video and it was great. Very informative for the topic at hand. Then… in the sidebar I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgBikgcWnY

This guy has a niche little shtick in the ilk of “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” and the “4-Hour Workweek.” That puts a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth… but it’s tolerable.

His whole point is that 10,000 hours for mastery is BS and I would tend to agree. I’ve even seen peer reviewed research that says the same thing.

Now, his prescription is to learn something VERY specific. Like, have a very precisely defined goal and work toward it. I can personally attest to the fact that this is true and I saw a guy on Hacker News who learned to write a full-blown iOS app in like 3 months.

I COMPLETELY AGREE that theoretical learning is very important. I think people should be nuanced students of Computer Science. I think a full breadth of understanding is important… but not to make money. And… there’s no rule that you can’t shake up the order of things.

I have switched industries 4 times and I’m in my late 20’s. So… being in the workforce for 10 years, that means I’ve literally switched careers every 2.5 years. You can absolutely get good at stuff really fast. All you have to do is have a rough plan and get to work.

Here’s some other reading for contrast… but I don’t think it directly contradicts what the first guy is saying:

http://www.taigeair.com/goals-are-for-losers/

This guy talks about having a “system,” not goals. I would say, figure out what you want to do, then create a system and never cheat yourself. Do it everyday. You will win at life.

nixnerd
    Participant

I have switched industries 4 times and I’m in my late 20′s. So… being in the workforce for 10 years, that means I’ve literally switched careers every 2.5 years. You can absolutely get good at stuff really fast. All you have to do is have a rough plan and get to work.

A lot of people will read this and say “Well, working at Jimmy John’s in college hardly counts as a career.”

My first job ever (right out of high school) was selling jumbo mortgages during the re-fi boom. I went to college part time and never finished. Hasn’t affected me yet.

nixnerd
    Participant

My first job ever (right out of high school)

Oh and by the way… I never finished that either.

Erik
    Participant

@NIX I going to watch that video for sure..

Sounds like we both had same path.. dropped out of high school and got my HSED last year.

So.. I could work at Jimmy Johns<— Joke

So..

First goal: Build a website from scratch (already started it today)
    Second goal: Make a phone app
    Third goal: To hook up with Iris Classon ;)

nixnerd
    Participant

Third goal: To hook up with Iris Classon ;)

Your third goal is sure to be a marriage ender. I don’t recommend it.

The other two seem fine though.

nixnerd
    Participant

For the record. I have never worked at Jimmy Johns. Love the “Vito” though. They have great bread.

Viewing 10 posts - 106 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.