Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Design Degree Useless?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Oh, no. I definitely agree with you 110% on that. I just have to disagree with DW as a beneficial tool for beginners.

nixnerd
    Participant

If I could go back… I would just learn Vim. Wouldn’t recommend that to OP though. Probably not the right choice.

Alen
    Participant

I disagree.

It’s a WYSIWYG editor. If you don’t know how to hand write code. DW is better option, plain and simple. It writes code for you. You might think this is a bad way to code, and yes I agree. But to a beginner, there need to be some level of “wow that works, idk what I did but it’s cool, am gonna keep exploring”, instead you’ll get “it’s just a blank screen what do i do, read Docs, oh shit!! wtf!”.

chrisburton
    Participant

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree in this case. Hopefully the OP isn’t confused.

Erik
    Participant

So… basically use whatever I want? lol

Erik
    Participant

I think in this case I will go with ST2.. I would like something that helps fill in code till I get better grasp of things… but I’m sure I could catch on fast.

Everyone told me to buy PhotoShop back in the day, so I just downloaded GIMP and love it!

Alen
    Participant

But everyone here is assuming intermediate level of knowledge, this is where all these arguments fall apart IMO.

Just downloading ST2 and not knowing how to actually write HTML/CSS/PHP whatever. Makes it more difficult to learn.

I’m I crazy here.

Alen
    Participant

This is not going anywhere. So i’ll step out if this discussion.

@Erik
    good luck with your endeavors my friend.

Erik
    Participant

@TheDoc I have looked at Code School before, but with 3 kids and all right now the cost isn’t going to work for me even at $29 a month.. that’s why I have been using Codecadmy

Erik
    Participant

@Alen Sorry, I want to thank you for all your helpful input.

Alen
    Participant

No need to be sorry buddy. Hope everything works out for you. I know how hard it is with kids. Just keep learning and be open minded. I’m sure if you get stuck at anything, we’ll be here to help. Just have fun :)

chrisburton
    Participant

@AlenAbdula

Just downloading ST2 and not knowing how to actually write HTML/CSS/PHP whatever. Makes it more difficult to learn.

I’m I crazy here.

Absolutely not, you’re correct. That alone will not teach you anything but neither will just writing random things into Dreamweaver.

@Erik
    If you’re an absolute beginner, Don’t Fear the Internet is a great resource in how it explains HTML and CSS.

Erik
    Participant

This might be different topic.. but has anyone used Pluralsight? They say this girl learned to code and got a job in like 3 months using it as a learning tool… I’m sure it’s prob on the individual how how fast they learn.

Alen
    Participant

WYSIWYG.

Alen
    Participant

Pluralsight

I’ve never used them.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.