Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Design Degree Useless?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Do you suggest Dreamweaver to build a site from scratch?

If you’re looking for a visual preview of what you’re building as you code, use Live Reload (I believe that’s what it’s called) alongside a text editor, such as ST2 that was mentioned above.

nixnerd
    Participant

You’ll only enjoy education when you start learning things that interest you.

I think this is true when your education is formal or informal. Doesn’t matter… as long as you learn and pursue excellence in what you do.

nixnerd
    Participant

use Live Reload (I believe that’s what it’s called) alongside a text editor, such as ST2 that was mentioned above.

That is indeed what it is called and with live reload… I see no reason to use Dreamweaver… not that I did before.

Erik
    Participant

Sweet, thanks.. just need the $70 to buy ST2, maybe I get a paper route lol

chrisburton
    Participant

I believe it was @traq who described Dreamweaver perfectly in another post in which it usually leads to redundancy and bad practice (that includes the way you apply your code ).

chrisburton
    Participant

@erik You have the option to try ST2 for 30 days before purchasing it. Although it doesn’t disable if you don’t, it’s always a good idea to help people who make great products.

Alen
    Participant

There’s nothing wrong with Dreamwaver.

If you’re not experienced and would like to visually build something (WYSIWYG Editor) then DW might be a great tool for you to help you learn.

When you feel more comfortable writing code by hand switch to one of the text editors, like Sublime Text, etc. for greater control of your code.

This is the exact path I took.

And now find my self using PhpStorm (IDE Editor) more and more to write OOP code faster.

I’m trying to find article I read recently trying to make an argument against using simple editors that IDEs are the way to go. And thinking about it little more, I kinda agree. If you watch Be Awesome in PhpStorm, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

chrisburton
    Participant

If you’re not experienced and would like to visually build something (WYSIWYG Editor) then DW might be a great tool for you to help you learn.

Why would you consider it a great tool if the WYSIWYG editor is not exactly how things will actually turn out in a browser — causing more frustration in learning how to code?

I think using Live Reload alongside a text editor is more efficient in regards to showing true rendering of how things will look.

Erik
    Participant

I just want to thank you all for your input and help… It’s nice to know that I can get great advice from others who have been around the block.

Makes my decision of not doing the school thing a whole lot less scary!

Alen
    Participant

not exactly how things will actually turn out in a browser

I don’t get this point. Why would it look different? It’s just HTML/CSS like anything you’re writing by hand. You just have GUI for it.

You have to first learn how to crawl in order to walk.

Suggesting to someone to use simple text editor, assumes that the person knows all the html tags, how to properly structure page, etc. With tools like DW you can generate this code and switch between Visual and Code view to make any further edits.

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t get this point. Why would it look different? It’s just HTML/CSS like anything you’re writing by hand. You just have GUI for it.

Dreamweaver’s GUI is still not a browser and will not render things in such a way. There’s a reason as to why there are countless results when googling differences between Dreamweaver’s live view vs a browser. Here’s one on SO, for example.

Suggesting to someone to use simple text editor, assumes that the person knows all the html tags, how to properly structure page, etc

But there are editors out there that have the same functionality for pop-up tags/auto-completion. I believe there is a package/plugin for ST2 also. That’s actually how I have my editor setup. And please correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t DW encourage inline code? I haven’t used it in quite a while but that’s how it used to be.

nixnerd
    Participant

Alen, I disagree but as always I respect what you’re saying. The point here @Erik is that you can use really whatever you want. If you’re hell bent on using Dreamweaver… do it. Whatever. As long as you write good code… I don’t really think it matters.

But that being said… if it doesn’t matter, I’d rather go with the free option.

I’ve been using Vim more and more to edit code in my terminal. Does that approach work for everybody? Nope. Many people think it sucks. For me… it’s awesome. I navigate files about 1000 times faster than I used to and I’m able to edit a document more effectively and a little bit faster.

I started writing code in TextMate. It doesn’t REALLY matter.

nixnerd
    Participant

In the same vein as Dreamweaver (a lot of people love to hate it), you will encounter someone who says you need to use Mac or Linux and Windows just simply won’t do. If you want to switch… cool. If not… that’s cool too. You can use whatever.

I literally know people who write all their code on a $39 Raspberry Pi.

Alen
    Participant

is still not a browser and will not render things in such a way

But you can load the site within the browser, even use live reload. These things are not exclusive to ST and other editors. DW is a lot more powerful than what you make it out to be.

there are editors out there that have the same functionality for pop-up tags/auto-completion.

Well that’s great if you actually know what you need to type, and you don’t constantly have to look at the documentation or cheatsheet.

nixnerd
    Participant

These things are not exclusive to ST and other editors.

I’m pretty sure Chris knows that.

Alen, I don’t think ANYONE would accuse Dreamweaver of being underpowered. Quite the opposite. I think it’s massive overkill for HTML + CSS and some JS. That’s just an opinion though.

That being said… if OP already has it… I guess use it. Might as well not let it go to waste I suppose.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 115 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.