Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Design Degree Useless?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

And don’t forget to be a doer:

Erik
    Participant

Thank you all for your help!

I’m really going to rethink the school thing… might even just get a Tech Diploma seeing as I don’t have to pay for the schooling. (Grants)

nixnerd
    Participant

That’s probably a wise choice TBH. The BEST coders I know are self-taught.

Erik
    Participant

Well.. it’s official, I dropped out of school.

Which makes you all my new best friends.. hopefully.

shaneisme
    Participant

We’ve either started your downward spiral, or maybe someday I’ll work for you.

Yes, those are your only two choices.

chrisburton
    Participant

Well.. it’s official, I dropped out of school. Which makes you all my new best friends.

Ahahaha.

nixnerd
    Participant

@Erik… this is one of the most awesome things I’ve ever seen on the Internet.

Now… it’s time to start learning.

Josh
    Participant

Web design is one of those fields that changes so quickly that a degree IN web design in my opinion is a waste. But that doesn’t mean a degree can necessarily be a waste.

Degrees are just tools. We’ve gone to this place where we think that the degree is the goal, but it’s not even the beginning (it’s only the foundation of a very limited beginning). So think about what a degree is going to do for you, in your field, as a simple tool and I think your perspective changes to be a bit more realistic. Personally I’ve always been a much bigger fan of certifications than I ever have been of degrees. Certifications seem to be aimed at giving professionals the tools they need to get right back into the field with more knowledge. Most degrees I think are bloated because they are designed for people that come out of high school and need a far more rounded educational experience to make up for a lack of any actual functional experience.

Consider also that a degree and education are not always the same. Those that are passionate about being the absolute best at what they do and they love it WILL educate themselves without prompting. It’s just natural. We consume books and watch webinars and listen to podcasts and try code and read articles and take tests and build shit all the time.

The best thing to do I think is to first figure out if web development, design or UX is for you. Figure out if you love it or not. If you don’t, then find that thing you really do love. If you find that you love this industry, start building things and be a consumer of knowledge and you’ll quickly start seeing how much there is to learn and how little time you actually have :)

Erik
    Participant

@shaneisme Ya.. really hope the downward spiral isn’t the way it goes!

nixnerd
    Participant

@Josh so true.

In addition, I think we’ve reached a point of diminishing returns when it comes to the cost of higher education in this country.

Erik
    Participant

@Josh I agree… I have NEVER been a fan of school, but got the impression that it would be the only way to get a career. I have learned in the last few weeks that what seems like 95% of people who are good and/or great at IT are self taught.

To this point I have self taught myself everything from using forums, searching the web, or online learning tools like Codecadmy, and Pluralsight. Not to mention it not cost $60,000

I enjoy learning at my own pace and really am excited to learn new things.

I get bored easily.. with IT always changing how can a guy get bored with learning new things.

nixnerd
    Participant

First off… we need to draw a distinction between web development and IT. Two completely separate endeavors. Although.. there is SOME overlap.

Also, you WILL get bored. Just be prepared to work on crappy projects that have little to no intrinsic value. But… you’ll also work on beautiful and exciting things that make your heart race and get you pumped.

Sometimes the pace is boring too. I’m to the point where I’m sick of hearing about the “next greatest thing” or the “whatever killer”. Just use built what excites you dude. Can’t go wrong there.

Erik
    Participant

Do you suggest Dreamweaver to build a site from scratch?

nixnerd
    Participant

No sir. I do not. There might be someone who would… but I don’t know them.

I would probably recommend Sublime Text 2. It’s pretty hard to go wrong with ST2… especially when you’re learning.

chrisburton
    Participant

I agree… I have NEVER been a fan of school

I felt the same way when I was majoring in Business but after moving on to Computer Science, I think I hit my mark. You’ll only enjoy education when you start learning about things that interest you.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.