Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Want to use full page template for reading single post

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Trying to do something I thought would be simple, and that is, when the user clicks a Read More link on a post, the full post would open using a full-width (no side bar) template page. I created a full width page and selected it on the Reading Setting page for the posts page, but it didn’t work. I discovered in the WordPress codex that the Posts Page will only use index.php to display a full post. Surely there’s a work-around for this!

Atelierbram
    Participant

If there is a template called single.php in your theme, then that one is used for posts, because it is higher in the WordPress’ template hierarchy.

See: developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/

Atelierbram
    Participant

What theme do you use?

If you are confused about the differences between pages and posts, please read up about it and try to wrap your brain around it.

When on a page, clicking on a (read-more) link of a post => this will bring you to a post.

braddalton
    Participant
    1. Create a single.php file in your child theme and remove the code for the sidebar. You can copy over your parent themes single.php file to your child theme and modify it.
    2. You will then need to add/modify the CSS so the content displays full width. The exact CSS for this will vary depending on which theme you use.

Note : Some themes like already include settings for different layouts built into the theme meaning you don’t need to modify code to display a different layout.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.