Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Video Publishing Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    anoopbal
    Participant

I am trying to come up with a product which probably has 8-10 videos which are around 10-15 minutes long (screen casts). Should I host these videos on my server or move it Amazon S3 or something? I use Hostgator.

Please advise.

Senff
    Participant

Nothing wrong with Youtube and Vimeo, in my opinion.

(also good for SEO apparently, as those services carry “authority”)

anoopbal
    Participant

I am sorry. I forgot to add that it will be a product that I will be selling. So want it to be private.

Thanks Senf.

Billy
    Participant

Can’t you then use private or unlisted YouTube videos? Only those with the correct e-mail address or code can view them on a certain page, and they don’t appear on YouTube, except to those people.
    (I don’t know about Vimeo though).

This is done on Udacity: you need to sign in to see their videos, which use YouTube but don’t appear there.

anoopbal
    Participant

You tube private videos need people to sign up for an account and only 50 people can access it. Unlisted means it is not public. People can easily copy the link and watch it. So that opton won’t work.

Thanks Cynewatch!

Senff
    Participant

If your concern is that people can copy the link, and you want to make it visible to one paying customer only, you’re going to run in other problems. You can’t create something that can not be shared with anyone else (they can still share their login information).

Anyway, hosting on Hostgator should be fine, they have no bandwidth limit or anything anyways, do they? I use it for my sites, but I have no experience with hosting large videos.

Billy
    Participant

If it’s unlisted, whether a person copies the URL or not it doesn’t matter: they need to be logged in (through PHP or something), which means that if they have the link but aren’t logged in the video won’t work.

Senff
    Participant

@cyneWATCH : actually, if the video is embedded on a page that requires a login, then it can still be accessed outside that page. The PAGE may be protected by a login mechanism, but the video itself can still be viewed if someone just types the direct Youtube URL in their browser.

From my understanding, an unlisted video on Youtube is just that: it only won’t show up on searches and such (but someone who has the address can still view it).

Billy
    Participant

How would they get the URL of the video though? There must be a way with JavaScript that does not let you right-click it and it could probably be hidden on inspection.

chrisburton
    Participant

@cynewatch There should be a better system than that. Who’s to say someone won’t link it to their friends or post the URL somewhere.

I would probably host it myself but use some sort of CDN like Cloudflare. I’m sure others might have a better idea.

TimelineSEO

I have been having some really great success with this product – Video Email, Video Newsletters. I have created a full managed service around the video platform and charge a monthly fee for maintenance, and custom template designs. Not bad for $35 month. Best thing for bringing in new business.

Senff
    Participant

@CyneWATCH “view source” always works. If someone really wants to figure out the URL of the video, they will. Disabling right-click is (in my opinion) generally bad practice that can easily be avoided by disabling JavaScript anyway.

Billy
    Participant

I’ve seen a website (can’t remember the link) that someone asked me to find the link to a video that used the <video> tag I believe or something, and it was completely hidden. I tried loads of stuff but couldn’t find the link (it was free).
    Could something similar not be done to a YouTube video?

anton2k
    Participant

In short there is no way to stop any one from sharing your private videos be it on a custom solution or a public one like youtube.

Take Netflix for example, you pay £6 a month to watch as much content as you like, there is nothing to stop any one watching every thing on Netflix and recording it whilst they do so using a screen capture program and then sharing it with friends family w/e.

This is just one of those things, as far as getting the videos private so only those with a paid subscription on your site can view them (wont prevent them from recording it) then there are a tone of solutions out there for you, personally i would try to achieve what you are doing using some sort of system where a user registers on a webpage (they buy a subscription), Once they have the subscription the videos page would then be visible to them until such times as there subscriptions runs out. You could probably achieve this using a forum or wordpress :D

Hope this helps.

anoopbal
    Participant

I am thinking just give the product to download and avoid all the embedding and such. This case I don’t have to worry about memberships/subscriptions and so forth.

If I go for the download option, which format would be the best?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.