Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Video is not running on web page after uploading it on server

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    manish tiwari
    Participant

Hi All,

I am making a website http://www.rajshripackersandmovers.com and there i want to display some videos on ‘my video’ page. So, after clicking the link ‘my Video’ on navigation bar, the page opens.

My problem is that i am using following code to display the video on page but this is running on local system but when i upload it on server it stopped working.

<video width=”400″ height=”300″ controls>
    <source src=”video/video1.mp4″ type=”video/mp4″>
    </video>

You can see the issue at following link-
    http://rajshripackersandmovers.com/video.php/

note- I have uploaded the video folder and have kept there the related video.

So, please help me to run the video on my web page.

Thanks
    Manish Tiwari

Ricky55
    Participant

A couple of things,

On some servers you have to set the MIME types for video

Add this to your htaccess

AddType video/mp4 .mp4 .m4v
    AddType video/ogg .ogv
    AddType video/webm .webm

Don’t also forget that mp4 won’t work in Firefox, you’ll need webm.

shaneisme
    Participant

IMO, the benefits of using YouTube for video outweigh any potential negatives.

It always works, and it works fast – plus it will adjust its quality and video type automatically based on many factors.

You can adjust the embed options to make it act very similar to a stock browser experience, here are some tricks: http://leaderswest.com/2012/10/10/youtube-embed-options-can-make-your-videos-look-less-youtube-y/

You can also keep it unlisted if it’s not something you want up on YouTube at large (plus disable comments and ratings if you think that’s necessary).

Ricky55
    Participant

id agree with that shaneisme, i use youtube for all my video. Pain the ass using html5 video. Even if there was only one format to worry about its still easier to use youtube.

can’t really think of many downsides.

ElijahFowler
    Participant

Don’t also forget that mp4 won’t work in Firefox, you’ll need webm.

It actually does, but on some platforms it doesn’t. From Can I Use

Firefox supports H.264 on Windows 7 and later since version 21. Firefox supports H.264 on Linux since version 26 if the appropriate gstreamer plug-ins are installed. Partial support for Firefox refers to the lack of support in OSX & some Linux platforms, for Android Firefox it refers to the inability of hardware acceleration.

I agree that YouTube is probably one of the best ways to go about embedding a video though.

Ricky55
    Participant

Thanks Elijah for pointing that out. Not done any HTML5 video for a while, in fact the last time I used it you needed ogg format for Firefox.

Nice to see that mp4 works, never thought that would happen due to licensing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.