Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Using Transform Scaling for responsiveness?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    homodreamus
    Participant

Hi tricks!

[Small intro]I’m working on some kind of a widget/box that would be planted in external sites (by request) and will show additional content/info automatically, inside the main content part. Like an info box inside the article.

My problem is with responsiveness. There are some graphical elements, like a timeline and special buttons and stuff like that. It could make adjusting sizes a bit of a headache

[The question] I was wondering whether using CSS’s “transform: scale” is a smart move. It does scale well for me and all, but are there any serious drawbacks?

Many Thanks

Shikkediel
    Participant

Codepen is using it to adapt the size of the embedded demos so I reckon that makes it legit.

:-)

homodreamus
    Participant

Thanks Shikkediel!
    I still wonder.

I understand it’s not useful when there is more to responsiveness than scaling, but if that’s really the only thing I need?

EDIT: a “+1” button would have been great here

Shikkediel
    Participant

I understand it’s not useful when there is more to responsiveness than scaling, but if that’s really the only thing I need?

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying there, could you elaborate on that?

The embedded pens are both scaled and responsive – another trick with padding-top is used to keep the correct aspect ratio.

homodreamus
    Participant
    1. Thanks. Yes, I’m using the padding trick too
    2. Well, I don’t know – I just didn’t see it really that much, so I wonder what are the problems with it. I guess in the past the browser compatibility wasn’t great, so that’s one problem, but other than that..

Thanks again, really appreciates it

Shikkediel
    Participant

No problem. Another side effect might be that the browser will use hardware acceleration more when using a transform: scale but that doesn’t seem like an issue. Browser compatibility should indeed be not much of an problem anymore either (even early Android supports it).

homodreamus
    Participant

Thanks

Yes. Performance shouldn’t be a problem – it happens rarely really and even on my old laptop it works pretty well

homodreamus
    Participant

Seems like at least some text becomes a little blur, especially when scaled down..

Shikkediel
    Participant

Any particular browser? I think I’ve read this before, there might be tricks around for it. None that I could immediately provide myself though.

homodreamus
    Participant

Chrome
    Firefox looks fine

homodreamus
    Participant

The solution of backface-visibility and blur(0) improves things, but doesn’t really solve the problem

Shikkediel
    Participant

Gotta say I didn’t see that one coming. Text looks quite crisp on the scaled Codepen demos and I thought it only was a Chrome issue under more complicated circumstances. Any chance of providing a demo?

homodreamus
    Participant
    1. Well, maybe they are doing it differently. Can you provide a link? When I look on embedded codepen stuff on css-tricks, it seems like the usual iframe
      (example: https://css-tricks.com/using-css-cursors/)

2. yes – http://earlybirds.info/wikidots/ver3/
      You can put “transform: scale(0.7)” on the wd-wrapper element and check the text inside the pink circle

3. Not related (and maybe I should open a new thread), but I’m still considering iframe vs js/ajax, both in terms of usability and performance. I really don’t know

Shikkediel
    Participant

A CSS approach is always preferred above a JS one of course…

Here’s an example of the embedded demos I was talking about (profile page) :

http://codepen.io/Shikkediel/pens/public/

I’ll have a look at the provided link as well.

Edit – looks fine to me on Windows 7 Chrome…

homodreamus
    Participant
    1. I’m not that sure – JS performance has rocketed in last years and it seems to be a real focus of software developers. Or, at least, I’m not sure that some JS stuff here and there will matter that much

2. It seems that when I scale the text directly, the blurriness does not happen

3. Codepen do width/height:201% and scale(0.5) – why exactly? to make sure the text isn’t that big?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.