Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Using 'selected' with 'nth-child'

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rachawal
    Participant

Hello,
    I’ve got links in an unordered list, which are currently displaying a unique background color on hover. However, I would like that background color on the link to remain displayed, after the user selects it. I’m having difficulty getting that color to display in the ‘selected’ state. Here is a sample of the code that I’m using:

.samplenav  li:nth-child(1):hover, .samplenav .li:nth-child(1).selected {
        background-color: red;
    }
    .samplenav li:nth-child(2):hover, .samplenav .li:nth-child(2).selected {
        background-color: greenyellow;
    }
    .samplenav li:nth-child(3):hover, .samplenav .li:nth-child(3).selected {
        background-color: #0495D6;
    }

I’m new to CSS, and I’ve searched on Google for a solution, but have not found one yet.

Thanks, in advance,
    Rachman

noahgelman
    Participant

You cannot mix nth-child and classes on the same element.

For your list items, you can either select by class, or nth-child, not both. I believe this is the route of your problem.

In your case, your css selector will ignore the .selected class and just target nth-child elements.

Paulie_D

You cannot mix nth-child and classes on the same element.

Actually, you can.

Granted you can’t actually do an nth-of-class (unless the elements all have the same class but then the class in the selector is irrelevant anyway).

However, in this case, I suspect that the issue (or at least part of it) is related to the extra . in front of the li for the .selected class.

.samplenav .li:nth-child(1).selected

As for the ‘staying’ selected, that’s a Jquery solve. : http://codepen.io/Paulie-D/pen/GrhLz/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.